Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 3:12:28 PM EDT
I need to have some questions answered and maybe some advice.  I am going to buy a Colt MT6400C.  I have always wanted a assault rifle.  I am currently in the process of getting my handgun permit (I live in Rochester, NY in case that helps answer any questions).  I have fired a AR-15 once, and I fell in love with the weapon.  To be honest, I will probably bring it to the range or my buddies farmland (who owns the AR-15 I fired) to shoot it.  It will be more of a collector weapon than anything.  Now, can I buy 20 (maybe 30) round magazines for the rifle and are they legal?  Also, I want to equip it with the sling, tactical light, the holographic sight (i found all these things on ar-15.com)  This will be the first rifle I own.  I just want to make sure that I am doing everything properly.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Also, what is a good price to pay for the rifle?  Thanks to all who respond.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome Cooden! [beer]

You will have to check your state laws regarding hi-cap mags but I think you are allowed to buy 20 and 30 rounds.  Please check the Legal or Hometown sections of this site to help you out there.

You can do all the things you want to do and it sounds like you are going about it the right way.  Don't be afraid to ask questions here, this place is a wealth of information.

I picked up a Colt 6400c for $967 shipped off one of the sites dealers.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can buy/own 20/30 round AR mags.  Stick to USGI mags.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, you can buy/own 20/30 round AR mags.  Stick to USGI mags.
View Quote

There you have it!  I agree with Vinnie, stick to the USGI mags and purchase them from the Equipment Exchange.

Oh yeah, the English SA-80 mags seem to be very good too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome, cooden!  I love my Colt Mt6601 20"
                                                          [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you check around on the net you can find the Colt MT6400c rifle for $899. $950 is more of the going rate though. You can use 20-30 and 40 round magazines. The holographic sight to get is the Eotech, I purchased the one that uses AA batteries for ease of use and extended battery life. Make sure when you purchase magazines that they are USGI. They are the most dependable.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]

If it's a post ban rifle you are talking about, technically it's not an "assault rifle". That would be evil and we can't have that. But I'm splitting hairs. Welcome!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top