Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 10:38:41 AM EDT
Hi all. I'm new to rifles and have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and others.  I have learned a lot from you folks but have also managed to overwhelm myself on all of the options.

I will be using the rifle for target shooting, USPSA Rifle and maybe HighPower.  I've decided to go with Bushmaster or Springlfield's M1A.

For Bushmaster, I'm thinking of the A2 or A3 XM15 E2S 20" with a free floating handguard and the match trigger as an option, probably won't need more than iron sights for my use.

Or, the Bushmaster DCM Rifle, which seems to have everything, but I'm concerned on how heavy it is (13lbs) and the cost. Also, does the 1:8 rifling mean I have to use heavier bullets?

Also, is a muzzle brake really neccessary or is that just an appearance thing.  If necessary, seems the AK muzzle brake makes most sense?

The M1A is attractive for its history and reputation.  Drawback I perceive is the cost of ammo and possible recoil - how bad is it?

I welcome any of your thoughts and recommendations as most of you seem quite knowledgable.  Oh, by the way, I'm not interested in building my own rifle.  I'd rather spend a little money and just have fun with a quality, reliable, and accurate weapon.

Thanks much for any comments.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey FunShooting;

I'm not new to rifles, but I am to this new addiction called the blackrifle.  I picked a BM XM E2S 20" A2 upper with a SS barrel.  Man this thing is a blast.  BM has great customer service, and from what I can see around the forums, a very good rep..

Mike
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Funshoot,

Welcome to the dark side!!  Thought I love my AR's, don't let the thought of recoil scare you away from the M1A.  It is definitely more than the AR, but it is more of a 'shove' than a kick.   Practice ammo, the edge definitely goes to the AR, but if you aren't reloading, the good stuff is expensive for either one.  Also, as far as other uses (hunting, etc) the M1 is slightly more versatile IMHO, however, I will NEVER give up my AR's or my M1.

Again, in my opinion, value of muzzle break lies mostly in the 'cool' factor.  Personally, I do like the look, but not the function, so I have the RRA fake breaks, or nothing.

Also, if I am not mistaken, I think the DCM Bushie has fore end weights under the handguards, so they could be removed, but double check me on that.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Funshoot,

Welcome aboard.  I have both an M1A and, well actually, lots of ARs and M16s.

If you are looking for  a target shooter and competition rifle, pick the AR15.  Ammo is cheaper, less recoil (oh yes, it WILL make a difference in competition) and overall cheaper rifle.  Almost all the top shooters in hipower use ARs now.  M14s and M1As are a thing of the past.

A  BM DCM will work fine in HP competition and target shooting.  I am not familiar with USPSA and can't comment.

Oh, and the weight on DCM rifles is lead added under the handguards and in the buttstock.  This is to aid in offhand shooting.  It makes a big difference.

If that worries you for all around blasting and funsy  shooting, buy the DCM AND a different upper for fun blasting.  Two rifles in one then.

So long as you pick Bushmaster, or Armalite, or Rock River Arms, or Colt you won't be sorry.  I probably left out one but can't remember.

Good luck

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the Board, FunShooting  [coffee]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top