Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/26/2003 10:17:24 AM EDT
Gents

I just want to get your opinion on these.  I know it is not a  RAS/RIS but it is cheap and easy to attach on this.  I have it on my preban Bushmaster M4 but will probably put it on my postban Oly 9mm.  It seems pretty sturdy and it really does improve my grip.  I find it very comfortable.  

All I plan to use it for is the grip and maybe a tactical light of some sort.  Primarily for my Oly Postban for my girlfriend to shoot.  She is petite and I think the more comfortable I can make this rifle the more she can shoot it.

Any other input for these grips?  I do eventually plan to get a RAS for my M4 and a eventually finish my M16A4 copy as well.

max
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
For what they cost, they arent worth it.

Its plastic.  Plastic handguards are ok on their own, but trouble starts when you bolt stuff to them and expect any kind of real world durability.

If all you plan on doing is plinking on the range, then you'll be find with them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one on my plinking gun.  I have had not 1 problem with it.  I would not place a scope on it but a light or a bi-pod I do not see where it would go wrong.  Its a super tight fit and it was not that bad in price at the fun show.  I think $60 out the door.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Lumpy , sure the inexpensive-ness is worth considering however any firearm even a plinker could potentially be needed to protect property life liberty etc etc , would a second guess be worth it ?? I used to have M44's on my AR but switched them out because I just could not trust the ongoing rigidity of the plastic and felt they could rotate with time and a vertical foregrip attached , which they didn't and probably never would have but I kept second guessing them. Would you keep a dog you didn't trust ??
   I am sure they are very popular with US soldiers in Iraq they reduce weight and are alot cooler than an RAS and offer some mounting options standard handguards dont, so not to disrespect any soldier who takes out his automatic weapon for his company and country and those ungrateful bastards freedom but what do they care about accessories or rigidity or rotating ?  They are using them in a real world scenario , which would make everyone a lot less critical about nominal tolerances . But Lumpy hit it , if your just going to go to the range - jump on them they work great for that.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I agree with Lumpy , sure the inexpensive-ness is worth considering however any firearm even a plinker could potentially be needed to protect property life liberty etc etc , would a second guess be worth it

They are using them in a real world scenario , which would make everyone a lot less critical about nominal tolerances .
View Quote

If you were going to use them if SHTF wouldnt that be a real world scenario?  If the military is useing them in war time, I feel that they are working a lot harder than if I were going to need them for SHTF stuff.  I have gone through about 2k rounds with mine on there and they are a tight as the day I put them on.  I know they might not be the coolest thing out but they work and as far as being plastic it has its advantages.  Its not like you normal plastic.  ITs the same looking stuff as my CAR stock.  Again I understand its not metal but it has done the job for the plinker!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If all you're going to use them for is to mount a light and a forward grip, they ought to be fine.  I've got the M33 grips on my M4gery and I like 'em.  You probably don't want to put optics on there, but for light duty, at a reasonable price, go for it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have a set of the M33 handguards, and use them for plinking.

But I will be ditching the upper one when I build up my Colt M4 upper.
Who cares if the handguard shifts a touch when all that is mounted on it is a light and vertical grip?

A sight, yes it can impact the zero, but a vertical grip will still be a vertical grip if it moves 1/10 of an inch left or right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had the M33s for over a year.  They even ran through two 3 day carbine courses with my forward grip and light.  No problems or issues.

These are built MUCH thicker than typical hanguards, and are stronger than bolting on a rail to a handguard (tried that one too).

No they probably won't take being tossed into the back of an APC too many times - but they are durable enough for most uses.

I've swtiched over to the M44s to better mount my light and I've found they are even better (stronger) than the M33s.

I would NEVER mount optics on them, and I have no illusions that they are stronger than RAS or SIR - but they are strong enough.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Gents

You are right.  It is not like a RAS, but after putting it on my 9mm upper, it sure feels good.  I am more than sure it is adequate for my use.  I am a Marine and will not take this thing to the field.  It is something for me to use on this 9mm.  I plan on adding a light on this as well for the little lady.

I am happy with it.  For 90% of us who do not use all of our rifle for work, first samco will work.  If I was back in Iraq, I would have no reservations using this on my M16A2.

[marines]

max
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top