Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2003 4:59:21 PM EDT
What are the advantages (real or perceived) of a 2 stage trigger versus a single stage trigger on an AR-15? Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The advantage is a lighter trigger pull. The disadvantage is that double taps are not as fast.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The two stage is best for precision shooting.

The first stage take up is followed by a perceptible stop, then a slight increase in pressure breaks the shot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
2 stage for precision and single stage for speed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure I share the same opinion as the previous posters. I have single stage JP triggers on both my AR15 and AR10, both set up with the 3 pound hammer spring. I don't see how the second stage of a two stage trigger could be better for precision shooting. But, I have to confess a lack of experience with them. I have always used single stage triggers on bolt guns, so I just did not want to get used to a different trigger action. Of course, the 3 pound spring I use would not be appropriate for tactical or military use, as some military primers are too hard for reliable ignition with it; but it has never been a problem with commercial ammo or reloads. So, I would say that a GOOD single stage trigger is probably as good as the military style, two-stage match trigger for precision shooting. But, you have to be used to it in order to have adequate control in all situations.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't see how the second stage of a two stage trigger could be better for precision shooting. But, I have to confess a lack of experience with them.  
View Quote

Like the commercial used to say - Try it, you'll like it...

The second stage is basically a 1 lb letoff, so it is in effect lighter than a 3 lb single stage.   The "surprise" break of a single stage takes significantly more pressure and can disturb you sight picture prior to the shot.  

As an example, the groups from my SPR wannabe shrank from around 1" to 0.6" when I switched to a KAC two stage.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]
A 2 stage trigger removes the "suprise" from the suprise break normally associated with precision shooting.  You know EXACTLY when the rifle will go off.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top