Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2003 4:22:41 PM EDT
I read here sometime ago that Indiana had passed a law that forbade semi-automatic firearms of any type. Is this so?  I can finding nothing on the net, and in fact, IN appears to be pretty liberal on their gun laws?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not from indiana, but I can't imagine you can't own a semi auto.

There must be tens of thousands of them in Indiana.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
did you read it here?

If so we are a machinegun state and far has I know there were no such laws passed. only law passed was we cannot use smokeless powder for muzzleloader's because dipshits with shotguns were hunting deer in ML season.

By the way I own 2ar's an A ak47 plus a reg MAC10 P.S 45acp. I do know a lot of gun shops here are closing up has for that I do not know why.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I did read it on the AR 15 board last summer I believe. I remember it well because someone wrote 'they really got their heads together on this one," meaning no loop holes as in the 1994 ACT. I am not from IN, so I did not really investigate at the time.  However, this law would be tougher than CA ban and a sign of things to come. What I read would pertain to semi-auto pistols as  well as rifles. Basically out law everything but bolt action or single shot rifles/shotguns and wheel guns.  This could have been a failed bill, but you comment on the shops closing raises questions.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, I did read it on the AR 15 board last summer I believe. I remember it well because someone wrote 'they really got their heads together on this one," meaning no loop holes as in the 1994 ACT. I am not from IN, so I did not really investigate at the time.  However, this law would be tougher than CA ban and a sign of things to come. What I read would pertain to semi-auto pistols as  well as rifles. Basically out law everything but bolt action or single shot rifles/shotguns and wheel guns.  This could have been a failed bill, but you comment on the shops closing raises questions.
View Quote

Iam going to have to investigate this one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I live next to terre haute IN I can go in a
gun shop and 10 min later walk out with a in stock AR and I am from IL. I did so a few months ago. I say B.S.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
It's horseshit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
guys were being blame for Ill crime.

[url]http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=863[/url]

also Million mom march has and article too about us and brady bitch is trying to pressure
them into tougher gun laws!!! fucking bastards.

I do not get it they said the because of ill High crime rate is because of us ours is lower.
WTF!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto. No way.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Watch out were under attack!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey,

I am from Indiana, and unfprtunately most of us are pretty d@mn liberal.  But you can buy a semi-automatic firearm.  In fact, less than a month ago I just purchased my first AR.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope the fuck we still keep them because IAM NOT GIVING MINE UP!!! for no one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah...That's straight bullshit!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
If I recall correctly, it was some representative from Gary, Indiana trying to push legislation that was intent on banning semi auto weapons.  Very closely tied to Chicago.  Under the current attitudes there would not be a chance this would happen.  What always worries me is that this stuff just keeps chipping away little by little.  Who knows what attitudes will be like in the government in ten or twenty years?  I would expect they will still have a big fight on their hands.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The day that there is a nation-wide ban similar to the one in California, half of my gun-nut friends will cross the line into illegal firearms manufacturing, just like people did with booze under prohibition; and like prohibition, the gun act would probably eventually be repealed after several dozen families are murdered in their homes by armed gangs, and there is a rusultant public outcry.

I mean, look at marajuana for example. The government is knocking itself cold trying to stop people around the nation from puffing some weed, and their efforts at enforcement are an abysmal failure. More than anything, more and more people now favor legalization due to the basic cost-benefit reality; It costs more tax-payer money to enforce the ban, than the benefits are worth. I don't want to do drugs, or have my kids around adults who do, but if some stoner wants to light up, what's it matter? As long as something is legal, the government can at least regulate it, and that's better than ruining fairly harmless people's lives with hard time in prison. I can't remember being assaulted by a hardened marajuana addict, or worried about such as thing, just as I've never been assaulted by someone with an AR-15/AK-47, and I'm not worried about that either. Groups like the Brady folks are just playing on fears, not reality. If people were dropping daily in assault rifle shoot-outs across the nation, they might have a point, but they're grasping at outlier statistics that hardly characterize the majority of violent crime.

Personally, I could live with just a Pennsylvania Long Rifle on my wall and a black powder shotgun in the corner, but I'll be sick to death if they outright ban military firearms.

By the time that happens of course (and it will come to pass in my lifetime I'm sure), most of the urban populations in big cities will feel so out of touch with rural gun owners, that we as a group will have very little public support for our interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

At present, most of the wonderul friends I have want nothing to do with guns, and they're hardly flaming liberals. They simply don't care about guns. They have no beef with gun owners, and no desire to take our guns away, but they won't stop they from being taken away either. Call it political ambivilence.

Personally, I'm just going to use their rhetoric as a good excuse to buy another assault rifle and put it away for times to come.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I agree, I work hard. I enjoy my firearms! I obey the laws! there trying to take away my rights to have my firearms Bullshit! this country is not free! I tell people that our freedoms are being chipped away you can get arrested for about anything. I remember a time I had not had to worry about it, I rememeber
a time when I felt really good and loved america now I am a criminal over ownership of a rifle. this now these commie bastards are taking over. they can stay the fuck out of my state,  I can see the day come though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey,

I am from Indiana, and unfprtunately most of us are pretty d@mn liberal.  But you can buy a semi-automatic firearm.  In fact, less than a month ago I just purchased my first AR.
View Quote

Indiana?!? Liberal!??!?  You must be from Lake County.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#17]
The only thing that changed is the automatic background check . Now you get checked even if you have a carry permit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Working part-time at a gun shop in the Indianapolis area, I call BS. We sell about 100 guns a week, of which a majority are semi-autos (be it rifles, handguns or shotguns).

I wish Chicago would just annex Gary IN and make it official. :-P

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I spend a lot of time in IN frequently stopping at gun stores and if that were the case, lets not tell that there are tons of gun stores still selling them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey,

Unflortunaltely I am from lake county.  I understand the rest of Indiana is much nicer and I much rather live a little bit, or a lot bit, further south.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top