Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2003 9:53:30 AM EDT
I was just thinking, and being curious, I wondered, why does nobody ever talk about having multiple uppers for a single lower.

I mean, say you buy a lower with some of the neat accessories, whatever they be, trigger, grip, stock, so on so forth.  Given the amount of time it takes to swap and upper, I ask this, in a matter of moments, you could go from a tack driving 24" free floater, to a tactical 16" carbine.  I'm not especially planning on doing this myself, but I just never hear/heard of that, and was curious why, is there something I'm missing??

Just for curiosity sake.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You can BUT...

that begins the cycle of them multiplying, ie... You now have to go out and get another lower for that lonely upper. you pick up a new upper, uh oh, you need another lower! rinse and repeat.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of us have tried it, but it never lasts. Sure you swap the uppers, but then you want a different stock, maybe a different grip, or the furniture doesn't match, so you need another lower, ....and on and on...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's my plan for curing the gun-buying sickness.  We'll see how long it lasts.  One beautiful preban lower with an Accuracy Speaks trigger and VLTOR carbine stock.  Register that bad boy as an SBR then switch out 3 uppers:  A 10.5 CQB Aimpoint, a 14.5 M4 ACOG, and 18"SPR 3.5-10 rig.  IN THEORY I'll be covered for all ranges and can spend the rest of my money on training and ammo.

Sounds great on paper don't it?  Even if I curb the AR habit, the SPR will force entry into the 308 LR boltgun obsession.  And that's assuming I don't get a new 1911 or SIG.  Oh, I give up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]
"You just need one lower, and get a bunch of uppers in different configurations."

That's how many people get the Black Rifle bug.  It sounds simple and economical, but it just sets you up for a vicious cycle.

It starts with an idea for a new upper.  You buy the upper, and you're fine for a few months.  As it sits in the safe, it calls out to you "I'm so lonely! I need my other half!"  You start feeling guilty, like when you leave your puppy home alone while you go to work.  Then a new stock catches your eye.  "A Vltor would go great with my new upper."  And then "What? RRA stripped lowers for only 90 bucks?  You realize you have enough spare parts to almost make a complete lower.  You make plans to visit your local FFL, and before you know it, your upper is united with a new lower.

Everything is fine for a few months, then you see someone (from this board, usually) with an 18" SPR.  Hmmmm... that would make a great new upper project...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was just thinking, and being curious, I wondered, why does nobody ever talk about having multiple uppers for a single lower.

Gundraw
View Quote

Yeah, it sounds good in theory, but pretty soon you add another lower "just in case", and it goes from there...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
[ROFL2]There's a way to limit yourself, at least for now...buy pre-ban uppers, then it's hard to go out & find another lower...[ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Im new to AR's. I bought a OLY PCR 45 acp. Next came a RRA midlength upper. I thought that would be it. Now im thinking of a CAV Arms lower. When will the madness end? Life was simpler when I just shot pistols
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't end. You buy a standard 20" A2, then the "tactical" M4, you want to see what kind of accuracy they are capable of so you get a flattop, no.. just get a free-float "varmint" rifle (heck, if you're going for accuracy....) then you get "old school" and find yourself trolling Ebay for that A1, triangle handguard, non-shell deflector upper.

Feeling satisfied, you then casually discover they make AR's in .308. Too expensive! But at a gun show you find an AR10A4C for a great price!
and that 24" (T) upper starts planting ideas of 400yrd shots in your head...

Hi. My name is Tony, and I'm an ARoholic.

"Hi, Tony!"

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top