Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 11:00:22 PM EDT
Getting ready to move up to an AR-15.  Friends recommend Bushmaster...General thoughts and recommendations.  I was a LEO several years ago and I not a stranger to hand or shot guns.  New to the AR area.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out www.adcofirearms.com. Consider Rock River
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster and Rock River Arms

With Rock River, make sure you get a chrome-[b]lined[/b] barrel, and not the chrome-moly.

After that, basically just pick out what you want.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for RRA from ADCO.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I would buy any of the below if the price was competitive, in that order:

Colt
Bushmaster
Armalite
DPMS
RRA
Olympic
Eagle Arms

But be very wary of Hesse Arms/Vulcan Arms, these have been known to have major problems, both with the product and elusive cutomer service.

I would stick with all forged receivers for strength, although some major manufacturers make cast receivers, forged is more durable IMO.

There is always the chromed bore vs chromemoly bore debate, choose whatever suits you best.

If you buy a preban, make sure you research its history by serial number thoroughly before putting cash down, and be aware the ban may sunset in September 2004 - or not.

Have a good time researching and making up your mind, that was one of the fun parts for me.

_DR
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
First I would decide what type AR I wanted.
If you want a 20" barrel or longer I would
consider a RRA to save some money if you want
a M-4 16" type I bought a colt liked it a little better than the bushmasters I had seen.
Had a few more options I was looking for.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I think go8dalejr is right.  Decide wht you want first, 16"; 20"; 24".  Flatop is in my opinion the only way to go, much more versitile.  then decide twist, 1-8,1-9.  Then pick from the major players, rock river, colt, armalite, bushmaster.  I have colt6731- love it never fails and always shoots well.  I also have an Armalite AR10 great shooter,and of course so is the rock river I have.  Don 't have a bushmaster though.  HMMMM, maybe mamma can get me that for the holidays!!  I think if you get one of those and stay away from the Hess, ASA, etc.  you will do fine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy one of each...hehe... Cant go wrong with a Colt!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to one and all REALLY good advice.....My wife would kill me with it if I one of each[50]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks to one and all REALLY good advice.....My wife would kill me with it if I one of each[50]
View Quote

Ummmm... I take it you're not yet acquainted with the Black Rifle Illness, are you???  Buy an AR and you'll find out all about it... One of each?  2 or 3 of each will be more accurate, with every accessory made...

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont leave out Cavalry Arms, great guys that sell great products.
Go to their forum in the Industry section of the board if you have questions.
I own a green 16" A3 mk2 and absolutely love it!

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Hint: Buy the upper and lower seperately. This results in NOT having to pay the exise tax on a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Colt or Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
BUSHMASTER.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top