Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 7:00:17 PM EDT
The question I have is would a very early DPMS,with  no panther logo and serial number under 300 be cast or forged?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I had two, one in the 3000 range and the other in the 10,000. Both were cast, the one in the 3000 range was unfired, the other was a shorty(Car15) I never had any problems with it. Traded it for a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had two, one in the 3000 range and the other in the 10,000. Both were cast, the one in the 3000 range was unfired, the other was a shorty(Car15) I never had any problems with it. Traded it for a Colt.
View Quote

But cast is no good right?

Should I unload it quick?

Bob
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#3]

A cast receiver, if well made, is just as good unless you are going to run over it with a truck.

I always buy forged because it is stronger, and only about $30 more in most cases, but if I had a cast preban by a major manufacturer such as DPMS, I would use it and enjoy it.

Also there is this: Most manufacturers will upgrade your older preban receiver with a new forged receiver with the same preban serial number, for the cost of a new receiver plus a small fee.  I would do that before I would sell it. Call DPMS and ask them about your concerns. I bet they can work with you.

_DR
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned the forged ones are stronger, I wouldn't worry about it. I never had any problems with the one I had. I only traded it because it was a good trade for me. I shot the piss out of it, never had a single malfunction.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top