Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 12:43:41 PM EDT
I have a 16 barrel with a shaved front sight tower and I want to put a mid-length free float tube on it. I figure it should fit over the remaining tower and hide all of it under the handguard, but I need a two piece tube so I can install the front sight retaining pins after I put on the barrel nut.
Will my plan work and who make such a tube?

Thanks, Larry
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
PRI makes one for around $325.  There must be others...

Edited to add:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=176747[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to take some measurements and make sure the midlength FF tube will indeed cover the gas block.  I had the same idea for a midlength FIRSH, and gas block was exposed about 1/2 inch.

The other important measurement is the I.D. of the tube.  Since you are using a shaved tower, and not a low profile gas block, you'll need more space in the tube.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
At $325, there better be others!!
I need a tube 9 and 1/8 inches long to cover the sight tower. And an inside diameter of about 1 and 3/4 inches to make this work.

I am cheap, which makes me innovative.
I will probably just end up getting a full length tube from model-1 and cutting it to the size I need.
They're only $35, so I don't have much to lose if it doesn't work.

Thanks, Larry
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Write to the folks at
[url]www.yhm.net[/url]
and ask about their new specter forearm kit
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
ARMS have the new mid length SIR that is on some members weapons. It is aparently also being used on the new Barret 6.8 weapon.     www.armsmounts.com
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a preliminary photo of [url=www.yhm.net] Yankee Hill Machine’s[/url] new “SPECTER” conversion kit for carbine weapons. The forearm offers 9 1/4” long rails with a total overall length of  9 5/8”. The forearm length is designed to extend past the gas block thus allowing the use of an end cap to dress up the end and keep out dirt and brush. The end cap will not affect the free floating of the barrel. The “SPECTER” conversion kit will include the following items forearm, barrel nut, jam nut, our new 2 piece low profile gas block, our new forearm mountable flip front sight, a swivel stud and a QD sling swivel. All of the parts can be purchased separately but the kit will be priced very competitively. The sight radius will not be affected either because the sight mounts right over the original front sight position. This kit will be available in our standard solid 4 rail forearm, our new light weight 4 rail forearm (pictured), and our tube forearm system. Call for pricing.
[img]www.yhm.net/images/Specter.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe RRA offers them too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics of the Daniel Defense free float tube that Wes put on one of my rifles can be found here, most of the guns on the page are still a work in progress:

[url]http://www.coloradoshooting.org/usmc03.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I used an Armalite carbine FF utbe off of their T model.  It goes just to the front of my low profile gass block covering it completely.  It is a threepeice including the locking collar, has a steel barrel nut, and steel indexing pin.  Only $75-95 depending on new or used.  Add short rails if you want or buy the new one that has four rails at the front section.  It is priced a little higher.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the price of the mid-length Spectre and the new front sight? Are they available?
Is the Spectre a light weight design?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
KAC FF RAS M/L
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19800[/img]

SIR #58
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17194[/img]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top