Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:34:06 AM EDT
I recently bought a Clark Gator rifle, which is basically a DPMS AR15 with Wilson barrel. The barrel is marked "223 1-8". I assumed this meant a SAAMI-spec commercial 223 chamber. However, by long-seating a heavy bullet, I can tell the chamber has a long throat, although I have no way to measure precisely. Based on this, I think it is probably safe to shoot military-spec ammo without risk of dangerous pressure spikes, but I would like to be certain. I would appreciate any experience other folks have had with these barrels. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
strange as this sounds, standard DPMS rifles are chambered for 5.56 even though they are marked .223.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
My DPMS AR has it stamped for use with
Caliber 5.56 -.223
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure new-arguy is right.  Ask DPMS in their forum or give them a call to be sure.

I have 1 rifle and 1 upper from them and I've shot M193 and Q3131A out of it no problem  (other than the fireball out of my 16" barrel).
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Why don't you call Clark-Gator?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My DPMS AR has it stamped for use with
Caliber 5.56 -.223
View Quote

What the lower is stamped will rarely make a difference because it is the barrel (i.e. upper) that has the chamber. For instance, I built a Nice M4 with a 5.56 chamber on an old Colt lower marked 7.62x39.

Unless you have aq special edition DPMS that they may have made with the tighter .223 chamber, all their chambers are 5.56. Ask Jarod at DPMS... Im sure he will tell you the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top