Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 1:55:54 PM EDT
Why do soldiers put tape on their mags (not like magpull, just tape around the bottom of mag).  Also, why do they have a rubber band around the laser at the front of their rifles?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Just tape around the mag bodies keeps the mags from ratteling against each other when inserted in a mag pouch.

The rubber band around the laser keeps the battery from falling out. Na......just kidding! I have no idea why they would do that.

But I bet someone will come along soon who knows the answer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about rubber bands, but a lot of Soldiers/Marines were (and are) having to use zip-ties to attach lasers, etc. to their weapons cause they didn't have mounts for them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
100mph tape on the mags has several purposes.  Stops the rattle, in the dark you can tell which end of the mag you have very quickly and the tape also holds a loop of 550 cord.  The loop of 550 cord lets you pull the mag out of the holder alot easier. At least that why we used it.

As far as what is on the light, hard to say...I know we had to secure everything with 550 cord as a back up, in case it came loose in some way. Maybe thats what he is doing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
In my unit we also use the cord for magpuls but the tape also serves a second purpose
Green tape- live ammo
Blue tape-  blank ammo
Red tape- training (dummy) ammo
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The tape on the mag makes sense.  I wish I had the picture of the soldier with what looked like a rubberband around the laser to show you guys.  It's the rectangular laser that's mounted on top of the handguard just behind the front sight.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
All it takes is one guy in a unit to lose a $1,000 laser during a night jump, and the next day everyone else is backing-up whatever rail grabber or facory mount with tape, 550, or cable ties.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All it takes is one guy in a unit to lose a $1,000 laser during a night jump, and the next day everyone else is backing-up whatever rail grabber or facory mount with tape, 550, or cable ties.
View Quote

I agree. When I was ground-pounding myself, we used to 550-cord everything that was an item we knew we would have to go back for if lost. We spent 2 full days beating the brush at Benning looking for some lost MILES gear after one training operation. No need to buy it though - I figure there is enough commo wire and 550-cord laying around on the ground in Fort Benning to secure an entire battalion. I even used to find old M1 Garand clips too, when digging foxholes.

You can secure or repair anything with liberal helpings of commo wire, 550 Cord and 100 MPH tape.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I do not remember where I got these pics so I can not give the member who took them credit. From the pic you can see how 100 mph tap or a zip tie can be used to made a mag pull.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/080831.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/080829.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The use of 550 cord to tie EVERYTHING down is referred to as "Dummy Cording" common among just about ALL Airborne/Infantry units.

Like Hey Dummy don't loose your canteen or whatever.....
It was always nice to jump in after the 82nd at Bragg because you could find ANYTHING from helmets to Promasks. With everything in between.
If you have ever watched a Mass Tac 82nd night jump w/ NV you would know what I am talking about. Stuff and troopers falling everywhere. It is quite a site.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
i don't know about anyone else but i tape mine for multiple reasons.
1) keeps the mags from rattling

2) i put my name, social and medical info on it, just in case.

3) keeps less honest soldiers from snagging my mags when we do round accountability.

i also loop 550 thru the bottoms of my mags, of course because it makes em easier to pull out, but also because i have a big ass carabiner on my web gear that i clip my empties thru so i dont end up dropping empty mags i might need later all over the battlefield.   their noisy, but by that time the enemy usually knows where u are anyway.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The PEQ 2 laser is notorious for not maintaining zero. The reason is the single screw thu the plastic that acts like a pivot and just doesn't stop moving. The zip ties are common to hold the rear of the laser housing from starting to pivot.
Jack
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top