Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 11:20:41 AM EDT
I know what full length handguards look like, but what's the difference in length between standard carbine, and mid-length?

I see them for sale around the web in differing sizes, but no lengths are given for them.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly midlength are 2 inches longer than the standard carbine.

From armalite website:

3.  Shift the gas port.  ArmaLite has shifted its carbines gas port two inches forward compared to the M4 Carbine.  Since the commercial minimum barrel length is set by law, this change serves reduce the gas pressure, delay its transmission to the carrier group, and reduces the length of barrel (and thus gas pulse duration) beyond the gas port.  This change is easy in a commercial setting but has logistics implications for the military.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
So would the longer mid-length handguard allow one to use a bayonet on a 16" preban AR?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
yep!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
So would the longer mid-length handguard allow one to use a bayonet on a 16" preban AR?
View Quote
yep!
View Quote
Sort of.  The ring on the bayonet won't be at the back of the FS like it is on the 14.5" with CAR HGs or 20" with full-length HGs, but it will be on the FS unlike a bayonet on a regular 16" with CAR HGs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top