Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 8:51:18 AM EDT
I am looking to put an ACOG on a 16" barrel AR.  Looking at 100-150 yds max.  Generally 50-75 yds most of the time.  

What would you recommend?  Amber triangle?  Cross hair?  1.5X, 2X ??  

Any particular reason why?

TIA
Doc
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly fun shooting.  Paper punching.  Killer 2 liter Pepsi bottles.  Possibly some varmint (coyote/javelina) type stuff).

Doc
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I like my ACOG a lot and I'm very happy with it as a general purpose, do-it-all kind of sight.

But if the most you plan on is 100-150yds and most of it 50-75, the Aimpoint is cheaper and better suited to the task unless you are positive you want some magnification.

If you are already decided on the ACOG though, then I'd ask whether you are going carry handle or flattop and if you have any issues with color-blindness?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I think they even have an Aimpoint that has a 2X magnification...not 100% sure...look on www.riflescopes.com
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
They do have a 2x attachment for the Aimpoint Comp M2/ML2.  From what I've read (on these forums), they aren't that great.

FWIW, I've never used one, just trying to pass on some info.  I too recommend an Aimpoint for <100yd shooting.  Less than half the price of the average ACOG, and definitely a damn good sight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking at doing something similar and want a dual-illum red chevron with 4x32 optics and bac.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Aimpoint
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:48:58 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a compact ACOG the Amber is too dim for my taste.  The crosshairs are too dim and too fine.  The dot is too large and not precise.  The 1.5X not worth the sacrifice over the Aimpoint for the magnification it gives.  Id say that leaves the red triangle in 2X or 3X.  Both will mount too low in a 19S direct to the flat top by just a hair.  The 3X is a bit too far forward in front of an ARMS 40.  If you put it on a carry handle the 2X is great but the 3X could use another hole drilled further to the rear as its got short eye relief.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They do have a 2x attachment for the Aimpoint Comp M2/ML2.  From what I've read (on these forums), they aren't that great.
View Quote

They dont have a 2X attachment for the Aimpoint.  Its a seperate 2X magnified optic but yes, it sucks horribly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They dont have a 2X attachment for the Aimpoint.  Its a seperate 2X magnified optic but yes, it sucks horribly.
View Quote

My mistake, I was under the assumption that it was an attachment for the Comp series.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, thanks.

I will look at the aimpoint.  Hadn't thought of that.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
For the shooting you're going to do, you could probably go with a cheaper red-dot than the Aimpoint.  Look at the OKO and UltraDots too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a handle mount and a flat top. If you are going flattop, you can't miss with the TA31F. It was designed for flattop receivers. The red chevron is more accurate than a donut because you can put the tip of the chevron on your poa while the donut is just bigger.

4x mag at 100 yds is not to much for target shooting and plinking. I can consistently shoot under 1 moa with the acog at 100yds using 193. Also, since you can acquire the target using BAC, its very fast once you get the hang of it, for moving targets and 'snap' shooting. I have a Tasco propoint on my A1 handle and the ACOG is not slower. For rapid target acquisition the small chevron acts like a red dot.

A lot depends on your budget. If you can afford the ACOG, you can't go wrong with it and you will not regret buying it.

For just plinking and casual target shooting, you don't need the Aimpoint, almost any decent red dot will do for a lot less cost. The ACOG doesn't use batteries, which along with its ruggedness, is one of its selling points.

Hope this helps.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top