Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/18/2003 7:30:50 AM EDT
I have a Colt lower with the sear block and would like to be able to use my Colt full circle carrier without altering the sear block. I put it in the upper and it seems to be fine, no contact with the sear block. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks John
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
If I am not mistaken the answer is no, you can not.  The reason why you have the half moon carrier is so there is clearance between the BLOCK and the bolt.  If you use it with the full circle bolt, you could risk injury or destroying your weapon.

Max
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I am not mistaken the answer is no, you can not.  The reason why you have the half moon carrier is so there is clearance between the BLOCK and the bolt.  If you use it with the full circle bolt, you could risk injury or destroying your weapon.

Max
View Quote

That is what I thought but I have the clearance, it does not hit the block at all, I think the block is just so you can't convert to full auto but not 100% sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a full circle (RRA Enhanced) in my sear blocked lower.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The shape and design of the rear of your carrier have nothing to do with the block on your lower. The only thing the block on the lower does is prevent you from easily drilling a hole in it to accomodate an auto sear and pin.

You can use a full circle carrier in any upper in conjunction with a blocked lower. The full circle's only function is to trip the auto sear off of the tab on a full auto hammer and release it to strike the firing pin after the bolt has fully seated back into battery. A half moon carrier does not have this portion on it and therefore can not trip an auto sear.

That is why, if you install an auto sear in a non-blocked lower, you will still need a full circle bolt carrier along with a full auto hammer, trigger, disconnector and selector switch for the rifle to function properly.

You asked me what time it was and I told you how to build a watch but there ya go.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. I appreciate the help, take care and happy holidays.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The shape and design of the rear of your carrier have nothing to do with the block on your lower. The only thing the block on the lower does is prevent you from easily drilling a hole in it to accomodate an auto sear and pin.
View Quote

Actually, the Colt sear block (if it is the type that has a section sticking "up" into the upper receiver, when the rifle is assembled) prevents the use of a FULL AUTO bolt carrier.  While the "full circle" BC (semi-auto bolt carrier) SHOULD work, you should make sure that it doesn't make contact with that little piece of the sear block that sticks up inside the upper receiver.  Quote from the patent PDF:
"The top section 222 of the block 206 projects above the top of the lower receiver 28 into the bolt asselbmly cavity of the upper receiver 29. Bolt carriers in prior art generally have a slot in their bottom such that their hammers can strike their firing pins. Howerver, these slots do not extend along the entire length of the bolt carrier. In fact, rear bottom sections of the bolt carriers for automatic firing rifles, such as shown in FIG 3, are needed in order to hit and operate their automatic sear. Thus, if a bolt carrier such as that showin in FIG 3 was attempted to be installed in the rifle 10, the top section 222 of the block 206 would hit the bottom of the bolt carrier and prevent the upper receiver 29 from completely closing onto the lower receiver, hence preventing operational installationof an automatic firing bolt assembly."
View Quote

That's from the patent PDF available on [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net[/url]

You can use a full circle carrier in any upper in conjunction with a blocked lower. The full circle's only function is to trip the auto sear off of the tab on a full auto hammer and release it to strike the firing pin after the bolt has fully seated back into battery. A half moon carrier does not have this portion on it and therefore can not trip an auto sear.
View Quote

Here, we need to make the distinction between a "full-circle" BC, and a "full-auto" BC.  In the following drawing:
[img]http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/AR15-M16Parts/boltCarrier.gif[/img]
you'll notice that the full-circle BC will NOT hit the factory autosear, OR a DIAS trip.  the full-auto one will, since the closed portion extends more toward the bolt.

If you have a full-auto BC in your rifle, your upper and lower will NOT WORK together, provided you have a sear-blocked lower.  If you have a "full-circle" BC (second in pic above) you _should_ be just fine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top