Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 5:20:32 AM EDT
Anyone know if this gun is any good. THe other Armalite guns have a good reputation but I've heard some bad things about this one.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
 I am really going to try to be nice about this...this "rifle" is one of my pet peeves, though there are several guys who like them.  My opinion after careful comparison with  REAL Armalite ( and Howa ) AR-180's  is that there IS NO COMPARISON.   The original Armalite and Howa licensed guns are works of art...the 180B is a cheap imitation with only ONE selling point...it takes AR mags without modification to them.  Big deal.  Why Armalite didn't do the RIGHT thing and create an improved version of the original that used new manufacturing technologies and welding techniques and retained the original STEEL construction is beyond me.  So what if it can't have a folding stock? Use a clever removable one instead.  The original 180 is a shooting machine with a great feel to it.  If you get a chance, handle a 180B  ( which does point very, very well ) then imagine a gun that points that good but feels like a light rifle  ( i.e. a real gun ).  In my opinion, despite some shortcomings that could have eventually been overcome, the AR 180 was one of the very best rifle designs of the twentieth century.  What Armalite has done with it is cheap and tawdry....and in my opinion, rather embarassing.
 I am gonna get flamed for this but I stand firmly on my opinion that the 180B is a gun that is just waiting to let you down....stick with an AR....or try an M96 if you have the bucks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Really I found what Armalite did was to bring the rifle to the 21st century.  They reduced potential rusting, lightened the rifle (good thing!), and lowered the cost.  Sounds like they improved the rifle to me.

Only thing Armalite missed was the chrome lining and a proper Picatinny rail (which I understand B Square now makes).
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine's been a jam-o-matic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Desert Moon...the original AR-180 AR-18 was a great rifle, highly underrated, a victim of circumstance. However I did have the chance to fire one of the new ones exstensively and I would rate it as "ok"...on the level with a Mini-14...not quite as accurate as an AR, but the one I shot functioned very well. A bargain assault rifle, or a novelty...like the Bushmaster bullpup. I have a friend who has a registered Armalite AR-18 "shorty"...and it is a sweetheart to shoot!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the chance to handle one and fire it a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it, but I wouldn't buy one. It needs a chrome lined bore and original style ejection port dust cover. I would also change to an A1 rear sight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Do guys realize that Armalite, is not really Armalite?

Do you know that the Armalite of today is the company formerly known as Eagle Arms?

Armalite was nothing more than a corporate name of a company long since closed down.

Eagle Arms purchased the Armalite corporate name from the parent company of the old Armalite company. It was a business move to attempt to improve the sales of their sub-standard producs and to try to recover some of the market share in the AR industry.

The trick worked as a LOT of people buy Armalite rifles thinking that they are getting a rifle from the [b]"original"[/b] AR maker. When they are in fact getting a rifle from a company that does not even make 100% mil-spec weapons.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
too cheap and ugly looking, my dealer looked at my rra's and laughed ,"i am not going to sell this , am i ? lol
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
the 180b that is
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do guys realize that Armalite, is not really Armalite?

Do you know that the Armalite of today is the company formerly known as Eagle Arms?

Armalite was nothing more than a corporate name of a company long since closed down.

Eagle Arms purchased the Armalite corporate name from the parent company of the old Armalite company. It was a business move to attempt to improve the sales of their sub-standard producs and to try to recover some of the market share in the AR industry.

The trick worked as a LOT of people buy Armalite rifles thinking that they are getting a rifle from the [b]"original"[/b] AR maker. When they are in fact getting a rifle from a company that does not even make 100% mil-spec weapons.
View Quote

Totally up to speed on that one but it is good to remind folks of that.  Truly, what's in a name?  Also remember that Springfield Armory is exactly the same type of business.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top