Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 9:04:15 AM EDT
I'm planning on buying my first AR soon... and I just get blown away by how many people have their front sight post fixed.  Am I just thinking completely wrong here or having a weaver base with a flip up the best option?  

For me personally... i thought for my first rifle to use an eotech has its primary sights... and i'll save later and add the flip up rear/front... but wouldn't I have a lot more viewing space without a chuck of metal in the front.  I understand the whole two eye method but wouldn't not having the front sight post there help with having a larger sight picture?

Why do you use fixed?  why don't most people have flip up front sights?  is it strength?  price?  because most maufactures don't offer them standard?  etc?  

give me your thoughts... thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Speaking from an EOTech perspective, if you are using it correctly with both eyes open and focusing on the target the front sight virtually disappears.

I would say for most people having a fixed front sight is not an issue and many keep it becasue it's less expensive and sturdier than the flip up versions.

IMHO, in most cases the fixed sight will work just fine.  The only time I would want a folding sight is on a precision SPR type rifle with high magnification optics.

Just my 2 centavos...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
For me personally and i know for others it's because;
1) It's standard on a barrel when you buy it (regular barrels, not special)
2) I use it for a sling mount (GG&G Sling Thing)
3) I think it looks good.  Plus it's not any more money out of pocket to get a ft. sight.

---
I do have a weaver style ft. sight (Armalite) that's going on another build.  Picked it up cheep so i figured i'd use it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I have to say my front flip sight is up most of the time.  The picatinny flip front is probably the worst choice you could make.  It combines the weakness of a picatinny mounted sight with a flip sight.  If you want a flip sight get a one piece unit.

The fixed front sight is stronger and less expensive.  Actual use is much different from theory and imagination in your head.  The front sight is not an issue and that is why most people have fixed front sights.

The folding front sight has a few advantages.  While its unneccesary for a dot sight or regular magnified optics its necessary if you use night vision and have tritium inserts.  The tritium will bloom if you dont fold the front sight.  The front sight will also be visable to anyone else using NV gear.

Now as far as nit picky wants some people like an uncluttered sight picture.  Some people dont like the tiny amount of light blocked by the fixed front sight.  My suggestion is to see if the front sight really bothers you at first and if it does, does it bother you $180 worth?  I really only fold mine down for sighting in or long range practice.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
On my primary CQB rifle, I want a fixed front sight.  Why?  Because I don’t want to have to screw around with flipping the sight to the up position if my Aimpoint goes down.  In a CQB class I attended earlier this year we were running a drill after lunch and I had forgotten to turn my Aimpoint back on.  Because I use a consistent check weld on the rifle I was able to finish the drill and get all my hits (good hits, too) using ONLY the front sight.  I didn’t even have my BUIS up.

Now on my Varminter I have the standard RRA gas block.  I’ve yet to put a BUIS or front flip-up sight on that rifle and doubt I ever will.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The big problem IMHO is that replacing the existing tower with a flip up sight is a major undertaking with (generally) little resulting benefit.

If they were more available as OEM equipment, you’d probably see more of them around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
KISS. (keep it simple stupid). Its there and it works. With optics or without.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top