Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2003 12:49:31 PM EDT
I am relatively new to ARs (<2 years), for please forgive my ignorance.  I've been reading these boards for about a month now and frequently see "SPR".  I have determined that it means Special Purpose Rifle and generally has an 18" barrel.  Now what makes a rifle an SPR.  Are there certain guidlines, or is it "just modify your AR however you want and call it an SPR" when asked.  I am familiar with the terms M4, A1, A2,A3, A4, 727, carbine, etc, but this SPR is new to me.  I have a 16" A2, so is that eligible to be an SPR if I hang the right stuff on it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board.[wave]

I believe SPR is short for Sporter. It goes back to Per Ban Colts with Sporter on the side of the reciever.  And I might be totally wrong too. We'll see .  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Special
Purpose
Rifle

its a military rifle designation. People call clones SPRs too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think, and let me emphasize that I am actually *thinking* about it... is that mr./ms. high ground is right.  special purpose rifle.  i would kinda tend to believe folks are planning on using the shorter barrels for urban/tight woodsy kinda work and the longer barrels for target/varmint shooting.  so i guess if you've got enough bells and whistles to hang onto your rifle and you have a special thing you like to do with it, then it's a spr.  

[thinking]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#4]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=141410]the SPR story[/url]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You learn something new everyday .
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, I guess that answers my question.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow, I guess that answers my question.  Thanks.
View Quote

Welcome to the board.              [coffee]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top