Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2003 11:25:00 PM EDT
I am in the process of building my first AR and I am really interested in competing in NRA high power.  I was wondering if some of you that shoot high power could let me know what you do to train; i.e. how many rounds per week, how many from each position etc.  I know this seems kind of silly, but I don't even know where to start other than a lot of range time.  Also, if anyone knows any good resources concerning propor shooting positions and sling use that would be helpfull also.

Thanks,
Zak
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you but I have similar questions, so this will give you (us!) a bump!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, you indicated NRA Highpower but I am curious if you meant DCM/CMP?  I know at my club that the difference is based on the type of rifle you shoot and not the order of the shoot or number of shots but I am still curious as it will affect how you can build your rifle.  CMP requires a stock "looking" rifle while NRA Match allows most anything short of optics.

As for practice, when I had the time to shoot more, I used to practice with a timer and I would run through the drill at least once a week.  I also practiced with a 22LR upper at 50-yrds sometimes.  From there, I would practice the skills as you need to.  I never had problems shooting prone but standing was something I needed a good deal of practice with so I shot like that more then anything.

Good luck and the one thing about NRA Match and DCM/CMP is that you will meet a number of great guys.  You will also find that no matter how good you think you are, there is always somebody that will show you up.

Did you look here...

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=10[/url]

You will get better answers there...  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Steve, short of Camp Perry (a little intimidating for a newbie) what else is available in Ohio?  I'm in Columbus. Anything this direction, or this side of Toledo?  Thanks?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I just started last year and one of the best things I did to prepare me was to purchase the "Mind over Matter" video from the CMP.  In it, the Army marksmanship team gave me lots of good information on the basics.

As for practice, I do tons of dry fire practice from all the positions.  In doing so, I really focus on sight alignment and trigger control.  Also work on familiarization of the sling.  I actually have small black dots on my shop wall for "targets".  As for live fire, I have my own 100yd range and use "reduced" targets for practice(fortunately, I also have anytime access to a range with targets out to 1,000yds but it is 20 miles away).  With the reduced daylight hours I can't do as much now but earlier in the year I would try to practice at least 3 times a week going through at least one full stage (ex. 20 rounds standing) each session.  Only reason I limited myself to only this much was due to the fact that I have neighbors fairly close by and I just don't want to annoy them.

Good luck and have fun!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I am also in the process of building an AR-15 Hipower rifle.  You have several options as far as building one.  First, get a lower with a 2 stage trigger in it.  It is worth the extra $$$ in competetion shooting.  Next, either look at the DCM/CMP service rifle uppers from DPMS, Rock River, or Armalite.  ( Make sure they have a free float handguard, 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist barrels, and 1/4 MOA rear sight).  If you are going the Match rifle route, get a 20 or 24 inch "varmint" flattop upper with a 1 in 8 inch twist barrel.  You will have to slot the handguard for a handstop.  Then get yourself a nice set of match sights.

Also, shoot 75 or 80 grain rounds, otherwise your accuracy suffers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Go and find out what is acceptable in a rifle before you show up.  You may be suprised to find what out what is allowed and not, for "service rifle" category.  If you show up with an M4, expect to be turned away, even though this IS a service weapon.  Ditto with an flattop 20" with backup iron sights. If it isn't an A2 with iron sights, you're outta luck.

If you are even allowed to shoot, you'll be shoved over into "non-service rifle" category, where you are competing against 15+ lb benchrest monster rifles. Hardly field guns.

Yes, I'm a little bitter, because the snobs over at NRA don't like my kind of guns. It used to be training for combat marksmanship. Now it's PC training.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, shoot 75 or 80 grain rounds, otherwise your accuracy suffers.
View Quote

Huh?  Maybe you should add "at 600 yards" onto that, because those 69gr SMK's work just fine at 200 and 300 yards.  

Quoted:
Go and find out what is acceptable in a rifle before you show up. You may be suprised to find what out what is allowed and not, for "service rifle" category. If you show up with an M4, expect to be turned away, even though this IS a service weapon. Ditto with an flattop 20" with backup iron sights. If it isn't an A2 with iron sights, you're outta luck.

If you are even allowed to shoot, you'll be shoved over into "non-service rifle" category, where you are competing against 15+ lb benchrest monster rifles. Hardly field guns.

Yes, I'm a little bitter, because the snobs over at NRA don't like my kind of guns. It used to be training for combat marksmanship. Now it's PC training.
View Quote

Funny, the "snobs" at the NRA have it right in their rules that the "evil black rifle" is perfectly acceptable for a service rifle.  You make it sound like the NRA only wants guys shooting wood-stocked bolt guns.  

I haven't seen a whole lot of 15+ pound benchrest guns in highpower competition - maybe you're thinking of long-range or benchrest.  That pesky offhand stage kind of puts a damper on using a 15+ pound rifle.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Eswanson,

I'm saying the NRA guys who run Highpower are snobs because they'll only allow an A2 configuration to compete in "Service Rifle" class, when the M4 AND A2 with flattop and backup irons (A4, I guess you'd call it, minus the select fire option) are both in CURRENT SERVICE as we speak. Nope, if it ain't an A2 and 20", you're put in the other category.

Frankly, for ME, an M4 is a handicap, because of the shorter barrel length and shorter sight radius, but it IS current issue. As for the A2 with flattop and backup irons, frankly, it's more comfortable for me to shoot, and yes, it's also CURRENT issue. But I don't want to have to build a dedicated match gun, when I should be able to at least have the option of competing against the big dogs with the guns I have.

You're right, I may have been thinking of benchrest and those 15 lb guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Eswanson,

I'm saying the NRA guys who run Highpower are snobs because they'll only allow an A2 configuration to compete in "Service Rifle" class, when the M4 AND A2 with flattop and backup irons (A4, I guess you'd call it, minus the select fire option) are both in CURRENT SERVICE as we speak. Nope, if it ain't an A2 and 20", you're put in the other category.

Frankly, for ME, an M4 is a handicap, because of the shorter barrel length and shorter sight radius, but it IS current issue. As for the A2 with flattop and backup irons, frankly, it's more comfortable for me to shoot, and yes, it's also CURRENT issue. But I don't want to have to build a dedicated match gun, when I should be able to at least have the option of competing against the big dogs with the guns I have.

You're right, I may have been thinking of benchrest and those 15 lb guns.
View Quote

I called DCM/OCMP last month about the flat top upper in Service Rifle. They said it is "under review" as far as ammending the rules goes. But they also said it has been "under review" for more than a year. I wouldn't look for a change in the rules anytime soon. A2 or A1 upper only for now.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top