Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 6:38:18 PM EDT
When using the Santose IBZ with removable sights like a carry handle or the DPMS unit, am I the only one that doesn't get full adjustability of the rear sight?

In other words, the sights will not adjust past the 400-450m setting. It seems they run out of adjustment travel.

I searched the AR15.com 30 day archives with no success. And I don't remember seeing any warning like this at the Maryland website either.

Thanks in advance.

Wes
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
reindexing my A3 sight to the IBZ did not affect my adjustment range in any way,when you adjust the elevation on your rear sight you go past 300, then 400, then 6/3 then it finaly runs out of threads back on about 400 so I think if you look at it again you will see you are actualy going past the 600 meter mark before you land on 400.Hope this helps .
                   Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at the left side of the sight, starting bottomed out at the "-4" clicks from "6/3," I can only turn the sight approximately 180 degrees, which equates to "+5" clicks past "4." The "5," much less "6/3," never comes close to making it back to the starting point.

It seems to me that I only have about 66% (~450m/600m) of my sight's "rated" adjustment available to me. Or have I missed something? [:\]

Wes
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same problem with my DPMS sight.  It starts out at 6/3 (bottomed out) and goes counterclockwise to about 180*.  Anyone here know how to mechanically zero one in so I can properly sight it in (don't have an 8/3 and I'm unsure about how the increments work.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It is definitly a defect with the sight ,mine is a bushmaster A/3 sight and I had no such problems.Maybe the slot in the threaded sight stem that the 3/32 roll pin travels in is not milled long enough.Take the thing apart and have a look I believe it should be about 3/8" long.I cannot believe anything else could cause this problem and maybe a little judicious work with a needle file will be the answer.I would also call the manufacturer and bitch maybe they will send you a new rear sight,but I really doubt DPMS has that good of customer service.
            Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
ok, took another look and mine does rotate about 3/4 of the way around (270 degrees).  is this normal?  and if so, what would be the equivalnet of 8/3?  to note:  I noticed there is a "z" etched on it as well that is not too far off from the 6/3.  anyone?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It should turn more than 270 degrees.  "6/3" is "300" or "600", one full turn apart.  Mine (a Bushmaster) can go from "6/3-6" (bottomed out for a 100m zero), past "3" and all the way around to "6" but I don't recall if it goes farther than that.  Don't know about the "Z" either, but I think mine has it too.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is definitly a defect with the sight ,mine is a bushmaster A/3 sight and I had no such problems.Maybe the slot in the threaded sight stem that the 3/32 roll pin travels in is not milled long enough.Take the thing apart and have a look I believe it should be about 3/8" long.I cannot believe anything else could cause this problem and maybe a little judicious work with a needle file will be the answer.I would also call the manufacturer and bitch maybe they will send you a new rear sight,but I really doubt DPMS has that good of customer service.
            Mike
View Quote

I just spent several minutes looking at the bottom of one of my detachable sights. The problem is as Mike stated above or the coil spring that keeps things under tension is compressing too much. I also wonder if the sight stem is some how threaded to coursely?

I haven't taken it apart, but the slot you describe above, seems to be approximately 3/8". It seems that there is about 1/16" of material before the slot starts.

Wes
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a DPMS A3 handle from Brownells and ran into the same problem using the IBZ.  I just took a round jeweler's file and removed the bottom of the slot and deburred the area.  Theres just enough of the slot contacting the pin to keep the sight from rotating.  Works great, just remember not to go past the 6/3.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
You turn to the "Z" for the 25m zeroing method.    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top