Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 4:33:52 PM EDT
Looking for an Ar15 that would be good to use in IDPA 3-gun matches. Has any one ever heard of Norinco. They have an AR15 style rifle it is called the M311. Price is very low. I don't have $2000 to spend but I don't want to but a useless, inaccurate piece of junk either!!! Any info would be great.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahhhhhh, pay attention young grasshopper!

Asking this question on this board is only going to be an exercise in futility. So, the answer is not to buy, but to build.

Rock River is my personal favorite, but you will now hear 100 different opinions.

You certainly have come to the right place.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I second the vote for RRA.  Look at ADCO as a dealer.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember CRABs:

[b]C[/b]olt
[b]R[/b]ock River Arms
[b]A[/b]rmalite
[b]B[/b]ushmaster

Can't go wrong with any of these.

Personally, I only have a RRA Varminter that I just use at the bench, and it has so far proven ultra reliable and super accurate (.25 MOA capable).  So that's where I put my vote.  Check out these guys:

[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Remember CRABs:

[b]C[/b]olt
[b]R[/b]ock River Arms
[b]A[/b]rmalite
[b]B[/b]ushmaster

Can't go wrong with any of these.

quote]

I have at least one of each of these, anyone would be great.  I have had the best luck with my Bushmaster, but only by a hair.  
Spend some money on a good trigger i.e. JARD, Jewell, JP, RRA... and on good ammo and shoot a lot.

But as you will soon see, one is not enough.  One leads to two, two to three, three to four, four...
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 Has any one ever heard of Norinco.

Thanks
View Quote

Yes, and usually not with any terms denoting such attributes as quality.  They sell a lot of stuff that are knock-offs made in China.

Go over to the EE (Equipment Exchange) forum and buy a good qulity upper and lower and then go to the Build It Yourself forum for simple do it youself instructions.

Some assembly required.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Im going to recommend cavalry-arms.  They are friendly, helpful and sell a great product.
Their lowers are very cool!  The rifles are lighter then a standard AR-15 from CRAB and perform all the same.  Plus the owners are easy to contact by phone, or on these forums.
Here is a picture of my CAV-15 which is in the mail.
[img]www.cavalryarms.com/Karaya.jpg[/img]
Thier webpage is www.cavalryarms.com
They also have a forum on the industry board if you want to ask them any questions.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with the 4 recomended by most- Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, and RRA in that order as far as my expeience goes and or have handled.
The few extra bucks is worth it.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought my first AR a little over a month ago. It's an RRA and I love it. I'm now thinking of building one but can't decide on what type to build. Thinking about building one of those M4 types.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking for an Ar15 that would be good to use in IDPA 3-gun matches. Has any one ever heard of Norinco. They have an AR15 style rifle it is called the M311. Price is very low. I don't have $2000 to spend but I don't want to but a useless, inaccurate piece of junk either!!! Any info would be great.

Thanks
View Quote

Here's what I built and I'm mostly satisfied with it with a few reservations. In fact, I'm thinking of building a new one.

I started with a Colt Hbar 6731, that's the carbine, with a flatop.

I sent the barrel assm off the Kurt who did his A2 type muzzle brake, which does a good job of containing rise but will get complaints from those next to you on the firing line.

I got a Stinger lower and put a NM trigger assm into it. The Colt upper and carbine barrel assm mate real well with the Stinger lower, no problems.

This gun shoots sub MOA with surplus 193. In over a 1000 rounds I've not had a single failure. Dead reliable.

I've topped it with a TA31F ACOG. Its a great setup but here's where I'm thinking of going.

Bushmaster ultralightweight 16" barrel with floating handguards and a gas block.

I need to ask around about this barrel but the lighter weight is attractive to me. Also, I want to lose the front sight post and replace it with the gas block with a short rail on the bottom. The front site post can be a little distracting with the ACOG and I don't need it. The floating handguards will provide a little more accuracy, can't hurt, and I can use a front grip attached to the gas block. I'll reuse my KKA muzzle brake.

I think you could build this set up for about $750, which leaves enough to at least think about optics.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go with what jimb100 has to offer... as long as the price range he offers is about right, you can't go wrong.  He isn't quoting junk and is suggesting some solid performance so WTF, why spend more initially?  Get broke in on this deal and if you think you need to spend more, have at it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt  6601 gets my vote.         [coffee]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Whatever you do, stay away from Hesse Arms/Vulcan Arms at any cost.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url] has RRA Standard A2's and CAR A2's for $675 right now.  A CAR A2 might work OK for now.  You could always change uppers or barrels later.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Bushmaster gets my vote!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url] has RRA Standard A2's and CAR A2's for $675 right now.  A CAR A2 might work OK for now.  You could always change uppers or barrels later.
View Quote

ADCO is a good outfit to deal with, run by ex-cops. I would buy from them again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If you really going to compete with it, don't buy a piece of cheap CRAP.  Get something decent from a major manufacturer or build one yourself from a good kit. 'nuff said!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Rock River would be my vote. I only have one AR, and it's a RRA so I may be biased. But it shoots fantastic groups with standard military ammo and it's just their standard rifle. The match trigger is crisp and comes standard. Can't go wrong with an RRA.

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:36:35 AM EDT
[#19]
He wants a competition rifle. He should get a stainless barrel. Don't lead him astray! Go towards the light of RRA!

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#21]
We got a guy shooting a Norinco AR here in SA he shoots all the local 3 gun matches with it and it seems to be as reliable as any of the other "pure bred" AR's used by most of the other guys.Looks almost identical to my SP1 but I think I remember him saying some of the bits were not interchangable so this might be a problem if you wanna change triggers safety's sights etc.BUT you live in the States so WHY buy a Norinco we have to take what we can get here If I lived over there I would love an Armalite
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#22]
The recommendations to this point are all good.  I’d stick with a Colt, RRA, Armalite or Bushmaster.

I should mention I have never shot a 3-gun match.  However, I have friends who do shoot these types of matches and I think I understand the format.  That said, I think you would be well served to attend a match or two and talk to the other guys.  Ask them about their equipment and, if possible, try some of their rigs.  What works for them might not work for you.

If you want a rifle for 3-gun matches, I would venture a guess you don’t want something very heavy, like a stainless barrel.  Going with a chrome-lined barrel won’t cause as much of a difference in accuracy as some might lead you to believe, especially given how you plan to primarily use the rifle.  Sounds like you’ll want a flattop, which will give you a more versatile platform for optics.  Depending on the optics you might use, you may find you want a long sight radius.  I’m thinking a 20” government profile barrel on an A3 upper with an Aimpoint sounds pretty good.  Use a good BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) to help with longer shots if you aren’t comfortable shooting longer distance with the Aimpoint.  Same rifle in a 16” barrel might also be a good choice.  I know I’ve been able to hit steel targets at 200-yards off-hand with my 16” Bushy M4-gery using an Aimpoint and iron sights.  However, the 20” barrel (or a Dissipater) will give you a longer sight radius, which should help improve accuracy.

Again, just stick with a quality manufacturer and you should be fine.

Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Just wanted to add, building a lower is NOT hard to do and requires very few tools you might not already have.  This might be an option for you.  If so, also look at the Eagle Arms (by Armalite) stripped lowers.

I also really like the RRA NM and the Jewell 2-stage triggers.  The Jewell will cost almost twice the RRA trigger and is a little harder to install.  It is adjustable; the RRA is not.  Because the Jewell has screws for adjustments, some people consider them less than desireable for a rifle you might use for self-defense.  (They're affraid the screws will fall out.)

Either trigger should be fine for 3-gun matches.

You might also decide you want a free-float tube.  This floats the barrel and should give you slightly better accuracy.  Plus if you want things like flash lights, bipods (might be helpful in a match? - I don't know), vertical grips, etc., it keeps all the weight of those things on the receiver and off the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#24]
ive got a RRA m4 tact entry with the chrome lined m4 barrel and i simply love it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#25]
ive got a bushmaster, and its incredible! cant go wrong with any of the CRAB though! enjoy, and welcome!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top