Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2003 4:35:33 PM EDT
I'm not quite sure how the law works, so I need some direction. If I buy a gun from an individual does it need to be registered or is it optional?

Thanks Jerad
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on state law. Most states only require handguns to be registered. A select few, the free states, don't require any registration.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That depends on the state, so you will need to check your state's laws.  For instance, in my state of Indiana individual face-to-face sales of shotguns and rifles between Indiana residents do not need to go through an FFL, hence no paper trail, although I would strongly advise both buyer and seller to have a bill of sale, but no 4473 must be done.  Handguns, on the other hand, MUST be transferred through an FFL and a 4473 filled out.  In a neighboring state, KY, it used to be any resident face-to-face sale of any firearm did not need to go through an FFL, but IIRC handguns now need to be transferred, but I am not 100% sure on KY's law on that aspect.  Call your local gun shop and ask them, they should know, and then confirm with another gun shop and the police department (but don't take the police’s word as gospel, they are often very wrong about laws regarding firearms that don't involve real victim type crimes).  If all three stories are the same, then I would think you would be safe to proceed.  If you cannot get straight answers, you may need to contact your state's Attorney General (?) or other official.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Am I incorrect in thinking I remember if one buys or acquires an assault rifle (i.e. pre-ban) that the person has one month to register it on a 4473 with a dealer of choice?  I thought I heard that and never heard of it again.  Did that make it into the ban?

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up for me guys, it must have been something someone was trying to introduce/pass and would have sucked balls!  Whew!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am I incorrect in thinking I remember if one buys or acquires an assault rifle (i.e. pre-ban) that the person has one month to register it on a 4473 with a dealer of choice?  I thought I heard that and never heard of it again.  Did that make it into the ban?
View Quote
I never heard that before, I don't know about CA with thier registration laws, but it's not part of the AWB.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not quite sure how the law works, so I need some direction. If I buy a gun from an individual does it need to be registered or is it optional?

Thanks Jerad
View Quote

You must register it with me and allow me to shoot it for six months to ensure it is safe, then you can take delivery of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I'm wrong - But I'm pretty sure that completing a transfer via an FFL and/or sumbitting to a background check are completely different from registering a firearm.  Certain paperwork is required to be retained by the FFL and they only have to produce it if ordered by a court.  The background check info is supposed to be destroyed by the ATF after a certain period of time (90 days I believe).  Very few states require registration beyond these requirements and most do not even require a background check or FFL transfer when it is a private party sale (thus the gunshow "loophole").
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, not part of any federal law, and I would go on to say probably not part of any state law as a 4473 is a federal form.

A 4473 is not "registration" per say. Some states do have registration laws , however in MO I belive only handguns need to be registered, but I am no expert on firearms laws outside of my own state (VA).
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am I incorrect in thinking I remember if one buys or acquires an assault rifle (i.e. pre-ban) that the person has one month to register it on a 4473 with a dealer of choice?
View Quote

Yes you are incorrect.

Form 4473 is ONLY used for FFL dealer sales - at the time of the sale.  If you don't buy from a FFL you don't need a 4473.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Missouri law prohibits any person from selling, leasing, loaning, exchanging, giving away or otherwise delivering any concealable firearm, unless he or she first demands and receives from the person purchasing or otherwise receiving the firearm a valid permit to acquire the firearm.  Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.080.1(2).  Similarly, persons are prohibited from buying, leasing, borrowing, exchanging or otherwise receiving any concealable firearm unless they first obtain and deliver to the person selling or otherwise delivering the firearm a valid permit authorizing the acquisition of the firearm  Section 571.080.1(1).  The permit to acquire a concealable firearm is valid for a period of 30 days after issuance.  Section 571.080.2.

The person who receives the permit from a concealable firearms purchaser as required during the sales transaction must return it to the county sheriff within 30 days after its expiration, with a notation showing the date and manner of disposition of the firearm and a description of the firearm including the make, model and serial number.  Section 571.090.5.  The permit provision does not apply to the acquisition by or transfer of concealable firearms among manufacturers, wholesalers or retailers of firearms for purposes of commerce.  Section 571.080.3.

For more information, go [url=http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/missouri.asp]here[/url].

There's no federal paperwork required on a in-state private sale.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top