Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 10:57:24 AM EDT
OK, I'm Cheap.  I would like to put a BSA 50mm red dot on my Oly.  It has the FIRST rail system and a non-removable carry handle.  Can I mount the red dot to the Picitinney rail or do I have to have something magic in order to accomplish this.  Opinions and advice needed.  thanx
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board.  I have the same setup on my 16" Oly.  I used a weaver/picatinny adapter that mounted on the fixed carry handle on my rifle.  There is a screw that goes through the hole in the carry handle and a nut that threads onto the screw to keep it in place.  Cost, I think, was $15.00 from FAC(?).  Works ok but it's a bit high.  You have to have more of a chin/stock weld rather than a cheek/stock weld.  The scope itself is not a tack driver due to the size of the dot -  I can get much better accuracy with the iron sites, but I can still use both with the adapter.  Therer is also a mount that hooks up in the same way but extends in front of the carry handle, down and then across the hand guard.  This allows you to mount the scope forward but at the same height as the iron sites.  This will allow you to use the same cheek/stock weld as with a flat top.  The US Army is using these to put optics on non flat top M-16A2's.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanx.  I was aware of these options, and I appreciate the info.  So I suppose it would be too low to mount on the rail of the forend directly?  What about if you used a picitinney spacer?  might work. thanx again
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Heck, give it a shot.  Might work just fine!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an aimpoint and a millett red dot and the millet is just as rugged,paralax free and just as accurate and $200 less,got the aimpoint after because I wanted an issue site but the millet has provided great accuracy and I can consistently wack 6" plates off hand with it at 200 yds love em both and it shows "cheap" can sometimes do the same thing expensive can.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
What sort of testing and conditions have you put the Millet and the aimpoint through to cometo the conclusion that they are as rugged as one another?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would like to put a BSA 50mm red dot on my Oly.  It has the FIRST rail system and a non-removable carry handle.  Can I mount the red dot to the Picitinney rail or do I have to have something magic in order to accomplish this.
View Quote

Put it on your firsch rails and see how you like it.  There are a lot of people who like a forward mounted optic.  If you don't like it, buy the carry handle adaptor ad mount it up there.  It is going to be dependant on how you shoot, what you shoot and what you do with your weapon.

As Troy commented, it isn't going to be the toughest optic or platform, but if you know that ahead of time, it really doesn't mater.

Try it both ways and let us know how you like it,
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OK, I'm Cheap.  I would like to put a BSA 50mm red dot on my Oly.  It has the FIRST rail system and a non-removable carry handle.  Can I mount the red dot to the Picitinney rail or do I have to have something magic in order to accomplish this.  Opinions and advice needed.  thanx
View Quote

You have a FIRSH rail mounted on your upper, but you are cheap?  Holy contradictions, Batman! [:)]

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The FIRSH rail, forward grip, streamlight and mount, boom tube, israeli sling, and the better rear grip, plus 3K of ammo came first, that is why i am CHEAP.  The rifles intended use is for plinking, targets and the occasional jack out here in the desert.  the armory that i have gives me plenty of home defense options, including the Springfield XD 40 and my wifes Commander on the headboard.  I was asking for actual advice since I have never done this before on a rifle.  for those of you that responded sincerely, thank you.  This will be my last post to this forum, as I will ask all my other questions, if I have them and HS2000.com and get answers without sarcasm with the excuse of being tired.  Hell after 22 years in the Army, 80% disabled, I'm friggin tired too!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#12]
legacyvet-yuma,

Everyone has a bad day, and anything that was said out of sorts was made up for.  If you want to hold a grudge, that is up to you, but all boards will give you grief from time to time.

Why sweat it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]
...oh and on behalf of the "STAFF" and my self, I would like to extend a sincere Welcome Mr. legacyvet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
To NEW_ARGUY I live in the north east and the millet has seen the same rainy downpours hot and cold and snow fluffy and heavy and wet.90+hot and 10 below cold its till kicking and just as accurate as the aimpoint and just as water and weather proof.I dont jump out of planes with my AR so I have no idea how impact proof it is although its an aluminum tube and I have droped it on concrete a time or two..still working good.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top