Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 11:09:40 PM EDT
i have about $2000 and i want to know what is the best preban ar15 for the money
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster or a colt sp1 or green label government rifle or carbine these colt types have the small pin firecontrol parts.I realy dont like colt now and their late model ARs but the earlier ones..I would have one if I had the money.But I have 2 bushie pre bans and Id say they are the closest to the real thing the law allows for $1400 to $1600 its worth it.Just make sure the serial# can be verified as the rifle being a true preban aka left the factory as a complete weapon before sept 94,and bushmaster will gladly supply you with the documentaion upon reqest and submission of the serial #.Also a good way to check on a potential buy gwt the # and check before buying.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Eagle Arms put out some really nice units geared towards the IPSC 3-gun market. Anything Green Lable and Colt. I do not care for the older SP-1s only because of the old style uppers.  Preban Bushmasters are good.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
SR25k
But it will cost you alot more then $2000.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Green label Colts have the small fire control parts but don't they also have the large pivot pin/screw? I haven't measured my blue label Colts fire control parts but it does have the small pivot pin.

Not to start a war but for the most part I'm thinking the ability to swap uppers is more important then fire control parts.

Even with the large fire control parts I believe conversion to auto is still possible simply by enlarging the holes in the M-16 parts. If I'm wrong here then "my bad" in advance.

I love Colts and highly recommend them but I won't talk bad about the other fine brands mentioned.

A Bushie will save you some bucks to use for optics. The Prancing Pony (Colt) is really more a name recognition thing, it's what I fired in basic and so on...

+1 for Government Carbine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
First, welcome to the boards [beer]

Second, if you can dig up another $650 I would say this would be the best pre-ban you could buy: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=190180[/url]

It's the only Colt I've ever seen with all the proper specs.  Short of that find yourself a verified pre-ban Bushmaster or Eagle Arms over on the EE and use the extra money for ammo [;)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:05:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Second, if you can dig up another $650 I would say this would be the best pre-ban you could buy: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=190180[/url]

It's the only Colt I've ever seen with all the proper specs.  Short of that find yourself a verified pre-ban Bushmaster or Eagle Arms over on the EE and use the extra money for ammo [;)]
View Quote

is your GC used or new ??? i have one NIB just like yours that i paid $2,400 for.., but that was over a year ago........
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:09:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh it's not mine...I just happened to see it on the EE.  I'd like to email the guy for pictures but I have no intention of buying it so I don't want to waste his time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
i like a bushmaster or a blue label colt. small pivot pin is more important to me than the small pin fcg.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Fullautoglock, if you really must buy a pre-ban AR-15 right now, Colt would be my first choice, then a factory-assembled Bushmaster with letter of authenticity as my second choice. All Colts made before the ban left the factory as complete rifles, so there is no need to prove their assembled state before the ban. Bushmaster sold both complete rifles and separate lowers before the ban. An AR-15 rifle had to be complete before 9/13/94 to be a grandfathered AW. If it left the factory as a lower receiver only, then you have the burden of proving that it was fully assembled before the cut-off date.

With the AW ban set to expire 9 months from today, I personally would try to hold out and see how it all pans out. You definitely don't want to pay big bucks for something you can buy for less than a grand in three quarters of a year. I'd recommend getting a post-ban rifle for now, and then if the ban sunsets and is not replaced, either convert your post-ban to a legal full-feature rifle or replace it with a factory-new one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can dig up another $650 I would say this would be the best pre-ban you could buy: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=190180[/url]

It's the only Colt I've ever seen with all the proper specs.
View Quote

Yeah, but there is no mention in the ad if it is large or small pivot pin. I'd say large-hole pivot. It sounds like a green label rifle that has a raised fence. Man, if it were small-hole, it would definitely be a rare beast and be well worth every penny. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say get a BLue Label Colt.  The large FCG pins are a non-issue as replacements are plentiful.  The sear block doesn't bother anything either.  And it can always be removed by a competent machine shop in about ten minutes if it really bothers you.

Colt preban quality was excellent, and the small pivot pin makes swapping uppers easy.  Just make sure it is drilled for the push pin.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i have about $2000 and i want to know what is the best preban ar15 for the money
View Quote

I am partial to my Oly CAR AR15. If I were you I would refuse to pay more than a $1000 for a preban. Have seen several at the funshow for $1000 or under. These have sat on the table for at least two shows, including an SP1.

BTW I would avoid Essential Arms as most are cast receivers.

Just my .02.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
whats the best preban
View Quote

One word........Colt.  

(I have nothing bad to say about other brand either).

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The one I will get when the ban expires.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
My pre-ban is the best one because, well, it's mine!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Eagle Arms factory Preban, by far the best fit and finish. The only downside is the barrel is not chromed. I have a NIB one that's my safe queen. Nicer than both of my Colts or my Olympic PreBan.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]
is that new postban colt m4 any good
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Eagle Arms factory Preban, by far the best fit and finish. The only downside is the barrel is not chromed. I have a NIB one that's my safe queen. Nicer than both of my Colts or my Olympic PreBan.
View Quote

I have to agree. My Preban Coal Valley Eagle Arms EA-15 is a beautiful piece of work. The lower receiver is very well made. And I much prefer the medium gray finish to the black that is currently popular.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

All Colts ARs are fine rifles, however you have the issue of nonstandard take down pin holes and the blocking ridge inside the lower receiver, which can make the installation of some match triggers impossible without machining. Having said that, Colts have some of the highest resale values.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1 on that puppy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Check this out:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=29&t=141779[/url]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Blue label colt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top