Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2003 4:20:37 PM EDT
I was digging around in my pile of "mystery stuff" and came upon a somewhat odd bolt carrier. It's one of those "what the hell is this and where the hell did it come from?" items we all encounter in the corner of the shop every once in a while.

It looks like a normal semi-auto bolt carrier except that a bunch of metal has been removed from the bottom of the firing pin well. The ramp the hammer runs on has been cut forward (and more steeply angled). You can now see the bottom side of the firing pin from almost the retaining pin aft.

The carrier has what appears to be a Smith Enterprises trademark on the starboard side.

This thing concerns me a little as it appears that, should the disconnector miss, the hammer could whack the firing pin before the bolt was completely in battery, causing the whole works to blow up in my face.

While there are those who would argue that anything happening to my face would constitute an esthetic improvement, I'd nevertheless like to avoid providing this sort of entertainment to the anti-gun crowd.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

SD
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
"SE" in a small outlined design is Smith Enterprise.  Smith Enterprise is top notch.

BTW, fire pin will not protrude into the chamber area until the bolt is rotated/locked a good bit. Cannot have an "out of battery" with this design. You can see this by holding the fire forward with your finger, and rotating the bolt closed (holding bolt-carrier in your hand).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top