Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2003 12:06:56 PM EDT
A while back, there was a picture of an original XM177 flash suppressor/modulator cut in half to show the machining on the inside.  I've looked for the thread without success.  Can anyone find that pic?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Ahem....MODERATOR...not modulator.   Big difference.

I'd like to see that pic myself.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ahem....MODERATOR...not modulator.   Big difference.

I'd like to see that pic myself.

CJ
View Quote

hehe...sorry...I saw "modulator" in reference to it just before I posted this.  

[img]http://world.std.com/~deanb/dean/marlboro_pins/marvin.jpg[/img]
Obviously, if I had a question about "modulators", I'd ask Marvin.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]

[url]groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/muzzledevices.msnw[/url]

About half way down the page...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, that's the one.  Thanks, DarkStar.

Here it is, if this works.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJwAAAJILRbpzYlQz*vmVKKb0uCvXjlGzNul0TSSoSYLEqO4CUBRXRpu9CiX01alSalouUUxoiqI[/img]

So, looking at the pics, it that two views of the same thing, or are there two different types of suppressors?  
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
2 views of same thing ... top is the supressor fully cut .. bottom is pic of the innards of supressor .. see .. the inside if that supressor is 2 parts .. tube within tube .. what they did on the top one is just cut the second inside tube ...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Gotcha, gotcha.  I see it now.  Anyone know how much sound moderation those actually provide?  I would imagine that the innards would get all carboned up after a while, and you'd have to clean it out like a suppressor.  Hard to imagine that it would actually be that effective.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know how much sound moderation those actually provide?  
View Quote

Not much. IIRC, about 5 or 6 db.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
personally I think it is a bit ridiculous that BATF  considers it NFA - I'd like to have one for my preban XM177 clone but for that.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
personally I think it is a bit ridiculous that BATF  considers it NFA - I'd like to have one for my preban XM177 clone but for that.

View Quote

I agree 100%, but BATF's argument would probably be the slippery slope - if we allow this, someone's going to make one with a larger diameter and better attenuation, and pretty soon, no one would need earplugs when shooting anymore.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Yeah I sort of see their point, but I think the ruling should be more scientific, like set a decidel level that is considered "silenced". I asked an ex-Vietnam vet at work who was in SOG for a while, he said the XM177E2 was just "slightly less" loud than an M16A1 at the time, which was a big improvement considering it was much louder before the moderator was added, but still a far cry from "silenced"
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah I sort of see their point, but I think the ruling should be more scientific, like set a decidel level that is considered "silenced". I asked an ex-Vietnam vet at work who was in SOG for a while, he said the XM177E2 was just "slightly less" loud than an M16A1 at the time, which was a big improvement considering it was much louder before the moderator was added, but still a far cry from "silenced"
View Quote

Ah my friend, I agree with you completely, but therein lies the problem. Silencer is a movie term. In their eyes it's a surpressor. And unfortunately,  even a device that lowers the sound by 1db is, in fact, surpressing the sound. Damn lawyers.

Also, to address an earlier point, ever heard of the term "slippery slope fallacy"? In fact, all prognostic slippery slopes are fallacies. Unfortunatley, the slippery slopes are too often used in politics, specially when it comes to our hobby.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is pretty much what I've understood as well. The modulator reduces the sound to approximatly the level of a rifle w/20" barrel.

Thanks for the link and pics guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top