Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2003 6:09:23 AM EDT
Anybody know if there was or is a long handle bayonet made to fit the XM177, M4 or other AR15/M16 based carbines? My M8 bayonets fit over the 5.5 inch flash hider just fine, but only half of the blade extends beyond the end of the flash hider since the handle is too short for the distance from the lug. I know there is a clamp on bayonet lug, but I didn't want to go there. I wonder if there is anyone who can make a custom bayonet out there?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#1]
If your bayo fit over the suppressor, you don't have a true XM177 type suppressor. Probably one of the aftermarket fakes that don't look anything like the XM piece.  The XM177, and E2, had suppressors that were much to wide to accept a bayo. In fact, there was no bayonet lug on either model.

On the more recent M4 types, if the rifle, or carbine, has a 14.5 inch barrel, the standard bayo fits just fine.  That's the main reason the barrel is 14.5 inches in the first place. If the piece has a 16 inch barrel, the standard bayonet will slide back to the barrel portion, and thus rattle around if mounted.  I have heard of, but never seen, an extended handle commercial production piece to allow the bayo to properly mount on a 16 incher.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
you are right, it is a 5.5" flash hider, that is meant to emulate the looks only of the original "moderator" that was on the XM177E2, since was this not a true silencer but quietened the XM177 enough to be qualified by the BATF as an NFA item. A bayonet that worked on the 16" M4gery would also work with the "XM177" emulation (11.5" barrel w/5.5 inch flash hider). If you ever remember where you heard of the commercial handle extension, please post the manufacturer. This is what I am looking for.

Thanks

_DR
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
DPMS sells an adapter that slides on the barrel to place a bayonet lug far enough forward for a bayonet to lock. Here's a link...
[url]http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=BL-LUG[/url]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you are right, it is a 5.5" flash hider, that is meant to emulate the looks only of the original "moderator" that was on the XM177E2, since was this not a true silencer but quietened the XM177 enough to be qualified by the BATF as an NFA item. A bayonet that worked on the 16" M4gery would also work with the "XM177" emulation (11.5" barrel w/5.5 inch flash hider). If you ever remember where you heard of the commercial handle extension, please post the manufacturer. This is what I am looking for.

Thanks

_DR
View Quote

Here ya go.

[url]http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03[/url]

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
AR_Rifle, you are great!

I have spent 2 days searching the web with no luck! It was expensive, but I ordered it as I have not seen any others anywhere.

_DR
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
It is EXPENSIVE, any others???
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Expensive, yes, but for what is is, not really. Colt bayos are expensive anyway (as is ANYTHING with Colt on it!) But the quality of the brand new item is unmatched, as was their rapid service. In this case, you do get what you pay for. They do have more, but a limited quantity. for pics and more testimonials ont his forum see: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=176332[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top