Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2003 6:01:24 AM EDT
Hey all, need opinions/help!

I am looking at an AR15 SP1 Carbine.  It appears to have been altered where the logo and serial numbers are.  However, the parkarizing and upper match is so perfect it makes me think maybe the factory did it.  In my opnionion it ranges from "sloppy" to "fraudulent".  Any opinions?  Kinda hard to see, but if you look closely you can see what appears to be waves where a grinder ground something off...

Thanks!

http://webpages.charter.net/mateomasfeo/Weapon%20Systems/Colt%20AR15%20SP1%20CAR%20serial%20num%20small.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/mateomasfeo/Weapon%20Systems/ReceiverTopAngle.JPG
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I think your just being a bit anal over it. Its a rifle. Go shoot with it, and have fun.
Or, better yet. Sell it to me. Since you consider it "sloppy to fradulent", I'd bet you will sell it cheap. Say $600 for the lower?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, since I don't own it "fraud and sloppy" would certainly be the words applying to me if I sold it to you at ANY price...

A better question would be "would you plunk down 1250 for it", which is the asking price...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]
looks fine to me.  i wouldn't buy it due to the screw detent.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#4]
While I have never seen grinder marks like that, if it's a fraud, it's a good one. You could contact Colt and ask them to research it. Maybe the original buyer is trackable, and perhaps you can work it from there, unless it was sold several times. Then it gets difficult.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the side was milled down, as if someone stood the lower on end and ran an endmill across the magwell.  Took off the radius at the front of the magwell, so it's a sharp angle now, shown in the left side of the top pic.  Plus, and endmill would leave that wavy pattern if one was cutting with the side of the cutter, as opposed to the end.

Could be that Colt did it at the factory to fix a mistake in serial number or something.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Manufacturers are known to do stuff like this when the screw up the stampings.  I have a Armalite where the SN where put in too close... they grinded it down and reapplied the stampings.  It looks like shit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, since I don't own it "fraud and sloppy" would certainly be the words applying to me if I sold it to you at ANY price...

A better question would be "would you plunk down 1250 for it", which is the asking price...
View Quote

If I saw those pics and were in the market for one, I'd still consider it, but not for $1250. Not because of the lower, but I can't see paying the difference for a pre-ban just to add a short stock or flash hider. $1000 sounds more reasonable to me, Colt or no Colt.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone for taking the time to opine over this issue...I negotiated it down to 1125.00 and bought it...

[img]http://webpages.charter.net/mateomasfeo/Weapon%20Systems/oswald.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top