Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2003 8:16:03 PM EDT
What is the advantage of mounting an A.R.M.S. swan sleeve with the built in flip up sight? against just mounting a flip sight directly to the flat top receiver?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question, and I am looking forward to the answer.  I expect many will say that it gives some added elevation to your optics allowing a better cowitness of red dot reticle to the iron sights.  I will expand the question to add, is there any difference in the built in flip up sight on the ARMS Swan Sleeve and the ARMS #40 flip up sight?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I put an ARMS #38 MOD-L on a carbine so that I could mount the optics forward of the receiver.
(Scout setup).
It also added rigidity to the weapon as it slides over the front and rear picatinny rail.

I added a Arms #38 S-ex to a 20" rifle to get proper eye relief on a scope (needed to go forward).

Hope this helps to answer your questions.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]
1. It protects the flat-top from damage.
2. It provides a platform for your scope mounts which normally place the scope at a more comfortable height for your cheek weld.
3. It provides a consistent height for the "co-witness" of ARMS #22M68 mounts (with no spacer) for use w/ the Aimpoint ML & ML2 scopes.
4. Depending on the length purchased it allows for forward mounting of the above M68 combination up to and including the "SuperEX" which allows behind the front sight mounting.
5. It comes numbered, allowing for consistent removal and replacement of optics aiding in retention of your pre-set zero.
6. It comes with what is considered the best (by most) BUIS available.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
But back to my questoin is the BUIS incorporated into the Swan Sleeve identical to the #40 or not?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But back to my questoin is the BUIS incorporated into the Swan Sleeve identical to the #40 or not?
View Quote

yes it is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
But the flat-top receiver is much cheaper to replace than the ARMS sleeve if it gets damaged.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
But the flat-top receiver is much cheaper to replace than the ARMS sleeve if it gets damaged.
View Quote

Only if you have access to all the tools to comletely strip and rebuild on a new receiver.

Factor in the cost of tools and time it is much cheaper to replace the sleeve.

It takes a couple of minutes with a screwdriver to replace the sleeve and any soldier can do it.

Slowworm
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top