Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2003 7:09:46 AM EDT
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into buying my first AR, but I'm on a budget so getting a Colt or BM is kinda out of the question. I've looked at a ton of threads and quite a few different AR's and have basically narrowed it down to the DPMS AR15 Lite 16. This gun will be used mostly for plinking and varmint hunting, but I will be keeping this rifle for a long time and would like to purchase a quality product. I really like the look of the Fixed "Collapsible" stock on the Lite 16 and being light weight is also a plus as I will be carrying this rifle a lot. I have heard conflicting reports on DPMS (good/bad costumer service, also unsure about the quality). Will I be wasting my money if I get a DPMS? Here is the description from the ad I was looking at:
4140 chromemoly barrel, 16 inch carbine unit with fixed commando style stock,A-1 sight system 1 x 9 twist rate barrel, This is a MIL SPEC Rifle and is hard coat annodized and TEFLON COATED black , the rifle's weight is only 5.75 lbs

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I was hoping that because you guys know a heck of a lot more then I do you would be able to help me out and let me know if this would be a good gun to purchase as my first AR.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I would take DPMS over Olympic. I have a non-chrome-lined DPMS upper that is good quality. Don't know anything about Olympic since I never had one.

Notice under the Industry Board, there is a DPMS section, but no Olympic section.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys. The Olympic was the Plinker, and I was worried about the Cast Lower (just wasn't sure if my concerns were justified). The DPMS does have A1 sights, but I will be putting on some sort of optical sights shortly after purchase. So hopefully the A1 sights won't be that big of a deal?

Thanks Again,

Chris
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine has the DPMS lite 16, and he regrets getting it.  Personally I would spend the extra $50-$100 and get either the Oly PCR-5 16" or the DPMS Classic 16.  You get A2 sights, a better barrel plus better reciever(for the Oly).  I have an Oly, my father has a DPMS, both have seen 3000+ rounds without a hitch.  My buddy with the lite 16 however has had numerous problems, but that just may be rifle specific.  Personally, I'd go with the oly PCR-5...my .02
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I would take the DPMS over the Olympic ANY DAY! I have had multiple problems with Olympic. DPMS has always come through (although they have screwed up a couple orders).

You may also want to wonder over to the industry section. Check out Calvary Arms. They now offer chromed lined barrells and 5.56 chambers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Cast lowers aside (don't get one) I have had both a DPMS and an Olympic with forged lower receiver, in my opinion they are about the same quality.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 different DPMS rifles, one of them is the Lite16, It is a great little rifle, I am not really sold much on the Muzzel Brake that they put on them, but for the money you really can't find a better deal. If you don't like the stock you can always put a ACE on it. that is what I did.

Here is a picture of it, it is the one on the bottom
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/gremminger_nam/dpmmn1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I would strongly suggest that you reconsider your purchase options. You state you are going to throw optics on quickly after you get it.

Take the money from the optics, and put it into a chrome lined barrel/ chamber and better weapon.  This is money better spent.

If you are set on optics, and know you will get them sooner or later, look at getting a flattop without the carry handle and pickup an ARMS 40 instead.

DPMS makes chrome line barrels with a 1/7 twist.  If you are trying to go milspec, this would be a good start.  There are some places selling DPMS uppers pretty darn cheap right now, why not consider buying an upper from them, and getting a lower from whoever you want?

Get the best you can for your money.  The cheapest AR possible is a bad thing when you are spending more money later on trying to upgrade what you could have done right the first time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd skip them both and get an Eagle Arms stripped lower from [url=http://www.quanticoarms.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=739&type=M&CMN=Eagle%20Arms&CMNum=22&CMSNum=68&CMSN=Receivers]Quantico Arms[/url] and a kit from [url=http://webcats.net/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=J&Category_Code=K]J&T[/url].  

Assembly is easy and straightforward and you can get a lot more gun for the money.

Or just get the complete lower from Quantico and the upper from J&T.  All you have to do is put them together and push in one pin and you have a complete rifle.

Either way, you can build the complete rifle with quality parts for under $600.  Or you can spend a little more and customize it any way you like.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a DPMS Lite 16 and have been very pleased with it so far. Ive only had it a short time but have put about 1500 rounds thru it without a single malfunction. Yes it does have a cast lower but its been banged around a little and still hasnt shattered. My dog actualy grabbed the sling and pulled it off my kitchen table one night, about 3 feet or so drop onto my hardwood floor, and its still in one piece. IMHO, for the 600.00 i paid for the fully assembled rifle, ive been happy.
 I do plan on adding to it in the future but it'll do for now. Only upgrade I have on it now is a G27 grip which is far better then the mil-spec. good luck on your purchase, im sure youll be happy with what you get but they are addicting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Spend the extra $50 for the DPMS Classic Sixteen. It is a great rifle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a lo-pro classic and have had 0 problems with it. It shoots great the only thing I did was put a 4 rail gas block on the front for iron sights. I also just purchased a panther 308 but that did have to go back to have the upper relived so the mags would drop free. Dpms is aware of the problem and fixed it very fast.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:43:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Both DPMS and Olympic make fine rifles...  They are basically equal in my opinion.

Sounds like you might want to go with a flattop upper.  You can get an Oly flattop at no extra cost with a PCR4/5.

The GI-16/20 are A1 sites on a forged receiver.

mark
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I think they are equal in fit and reliability. From what I have seen, Oly has a better finish on most of their rifles. Many of the DPMS guns I see have quite a variation in the color of their upper and lower. The new Oly G.I. rifles are budget priced but feature forged recievers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Oly and DPMS are both qulity products. As it happens I currenly own 3 rifles built on oly recivers and one faactory Oly never a problem
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Olympic has been making complete rifles for many many years.

DPMS has mostly been known as a parts maker/parts seller.

I'd take an OLY PCR rifle over a DPMS any day.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#17]
To me it is a no win question, so I would say go Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, or RRA.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Get a nice DMPS lower assembly and then go to a local gunshow or check the EE or advertisers here to find a chrome lined or chambered barrelled upper to throw on it.   I bought a complete Colt 20" 1:7 upper with bolt/carrier/charging handle for $350 in new condition.  Add a 250ish lower and you're in for $600.  If you buy a stripped lower and parts you can lower the $250 to 190ish. I have had 2 DMPS and 2 Oly rifles and while adequate I wont own a non chrome chambered rifle for social purposes ever again.  Remember the barrel is the important part there, for maximum reliability you need a 5.56 chrome chambered rig.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got my Oly xm-177 I'm very impressed with it I'd go with Oly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Bushy all the way!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#21]
As a general rule, I do not recommend new(er) Colt AR's and those that do are in love with a name.  The below are all introduced because Colt wanted to be PC and not allow full auto parts to be used on semi-auto lower.  Same reason I do not have any respect for "Banana" Bill Ruger.

They have a couple major liability points.

1) Large hole front take down pin...  Just a pain that gains you nothing - non-milspec
2) Oversized fire control pins. Just a pain that gains you nothing - non-milspec
3) Sear block.   Just a pain that gains you nothing - non-milspec

I own one, but it is not one that I use much because it is too much of a pain to switch uppers on, drop in LL or DIAS, etc.

mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top