Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2003 7:16:19 PM EDT
I have one AR and I'm thinking about building a M4 type Ar, however I was at the local shop yesterday and got to hold a HK USC and I must say I really liked it. Anyone have any experece or comments about the USC?

Thanks Jerad
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Would that be USC .45?  If it is, then my 2 cents may be useful.  I can't say much about accuracy, as the only time I fired one was at 7 yards.  I guess it's obvious that the groups were very tight at 7 yards.  Recoil was very light, and muzzle flip was imperceptable.  I was about 15 at the time, so for older folks the handling will be easy.  I can't say much else, except that it sure beats firing .45 caliber rounds from a 4" barreled handgun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Never did anything more than hold one and I liked it but remember you only get 10 round mags for it.  There's kits that use M3 mags for it but I dunno if they're any good.  In short AR.  The .45 is a very effective round get a nice M1911 and enjoy it but unless the ban expires and mags are plentiful there's no point in buying a 10 shot .45 rifle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a USC. I really didn't care for it too much. I found that if I wanted to shoot the .45 caliber, I preferred to shoot it from my Wilson CQB instead. I also have to say that I can shoot my CQB more accurate at 25 yds than the USC.....keeping it just didn't make sense to me.

I would get, or build the M4. You can easily find hi-cap mags, the ammo is cheaper, it's more accurate to longer distances etc.

If I had to say what my favorite caliber is, it would be without doubt the .45.......just not out of a carbine. As stated above, go buy yourself a decent 1911 if you want to shoot .45's.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to change the subject or anything, but could you turn a HK USC into a SBR?  I think that might be a cool thing to do, if possible.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are like me and have a fixed (college) budget, go with another AR with a config that tickles your fancy like the M4 does.

I handled the USC and it was rather nice but 10 rounders of .45 doesn't excite me like a nice M4 does.

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
O yea I'm certainly on a college budget, so I want to make sure I get something I'm going to like. I would like to get a H&K Sp-89 or and MP5, but yea I better graduate first:)

Thanks Guys I agree that I better just stick with the AR!

Thanks jerad
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My 2 cents:
If all you want is a .45 cal carbine than a mech-tech carbine conversion kit would be the economical way to go.  All you would need is either a glock or a 1911 pistol.  You take your slide off and replace it with the conversion unit and then you have a .45 caliber carbine! All for under $500!  If its the HK name then that's it.  An AR-15 carbine in .223/5.56mm is the most size effective shoulder fired weapon system in its class especially in its price range.  If lethality and efficiency are the determining factors than the obvious choice would be the AR-15 carbine.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
AR-15!!!

Why bother with lo cap mags and a pistol caliber in a carbine size gun when you could have hi caps and a rifle caliber in the same size package?  Only losers use pistol caliber carbines.

[peep]

Besides, this is AR Discussions, not USC discussions![:D]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not to change the subject or anything, but could you turn a HK USC into a SBR?  I think that might be a cool thing to do, if possible.
View Quote

That's what I'll be doing to mine as soon as I'm approved. I can either go with Gunplumber and get the barrel shortened or buy a shorter barrel that Special Weapons is going to manufacture. After I put Special Weapons new polymer conversion and UMP buttstock on and have a short barrel to go with it, tell me that won't be one bad little mutha.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top