Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 5:22:48 AM EDT
I carried an M16 A1 (among many other much heavier things) while I was in the Marine Corps in the mid to late 70's.  I'd like to have a duplicate AR in my safe for old time sake but have yet to see the exact configuration I remember. They had A1 sights and a forward assist but no brass deflector. I don't remember a raised mag fense being there. Triangular hand guards, pencil thin barrel with a bird cage flash supressor (Some of my buddies weapons had open ended supressors) I don't remember the twist but I think it was either 1/11 or 1/14. I'm guessing the buttstock was the shorter A1 also. I'm describing an SP1 with a forward assist I think but have yet to see one that way.

What Colt model number should I look for to at least get me close. I don't mind piecing one to gether if I have to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#1]
To get an exact duplicate of what you carried, you're going to have to build your own[:D] Fortunately, it can be done these days; using original GI surplus parts.  Since all the A1s still in Governmnet hands are being "upgraded" to A2 configurations, the A1 type pieces are often available on the civilian market. BTW, rifling twist on the A1s is 1 in 12.

The quickest way to do it at the moment is to buy an A1 type barrelled upper from CDNN [url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]. They're selling complete A1 type barrelled upper assys that are brand new from Colt. That, combined with an A1 type buttstock, can be mounted on any current lower assy. Of course, if you're putting the upper on a current production lower, you'll have to demil the bayonet lug (file down the two little retaining lugs at the front), and replace the flash suppressor with a lookalike permanently mounted muzzle brake.

Over the past two years I've put together both M16 and M16A1 clones. Love 'em[:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Shamayim,

Looks like I need to order that upper. It will go on a PreBan SP1 lower I think and not on a post ban though.  Never know when you will need to fix bayonets and repel boarders from DU. A quick thrust and twist ought to do it.

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to put it on an SP1, you'll need an adapter hinge assy to match up the small hole upper to the large hole lower.  CDNN has those also. In fact they have the ONLY type worth using.  All the adapters sold by everyone else will drive you crazy by shifting out of position every time you open the action. The CDNN unit doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn....I assumed that the holes would be the same size in this case.....what Colt lower would be as close to original as possible.... a 6700 maybe?  I'll use the adaptor if I have to but would perfer to keep it simple especially if I'm gonna spring for a preban lower.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen quite a few stripped large hole Colt A1 uppers at the gun shows lately, also on ebay. Those should work without the conversion pin on an SP1 lower.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Check also [url=http://www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url]
They are selling those uppers too.

MN
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Check also CMMG
They are selling those uppers too.

MN
View Quote

Nope, looks like they're all the new A1 style with the brass deflector.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several of the Postban version M16 and M16A1's listed in the EE if you're interested.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You will never be able to have exactly what you want in a semi-auto rifle.  The M16A1 you describe sounds like it was built on Contract 508 "one time buy" receiver, manufactured 1964-67.  This would have a pivot pin retaining boss, but no mag fence, no reinforcements of the buffer housing, and no radius on the pivot pin lugs.  This receiver was never, to my knowledge, used for other than select-fire M16's.

The lower receivers you have available are the SP1 (no pivot pin retaining boss, requires an adapter pin to work with standard uppers) or the current A2 models (from Colt or anyone else, they all will have radiused pivot pin lugs, reinforced buffer housing and a mag fence).  As others have pointed out, the upper receiver assembly should not be difficult to find, but you are a little handicapped on the lower.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like I'll stick with the SP1 Lower and use an adaptor pin. That sounds like it will be closer than anything else.

I find the Contract 508 deal interesting. In the mid 70's it seems the Marine Corps weapons programs were always changing. It doesn't suprise me to hear that they made a one time purchase of a tweener M16 weapons system. We were between the phasing out of the 106mm recoiless rifle and the phasing in of the TOW and between the LAAW and the Dragon. Also between the flame thrower and the M202 "Flame Weapon". The only good news was that I got to shoot all kinds of neat stuff. I know the Marines missed the 106 as did I. Fire and forget in 1968. Imagine that!

The M202 was a very cool 4 barreled shoulder fired rocket launcher that unlike the LAAW was reloadable with a 4 rocket clip. For the most part a vast improvement over the flame thrower. Looked just like a WP round exploading when it hit the target. A flame weapon that would fire 4 66mm TPA filled rockets as fast as you could pull the trigger and had a 200 meter max effective range was very desireable over the flame thrower.  Only problem was that once in a great while the damn thing would fire a rocket while you were standing over it and shoving in a new clip. Ahhhh the old Corps.........  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top