Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 10:24:40 PM EDT
hey all, just signed up to the site, .. this place is great..

i just bought my first ar15, it's a Bushmaster XM15-E2S 16"Barrel...

i just put on the ARFX stock, and it's really nice..

i really just have 1 questions.. how the hell do i get the forend covers off.. this really has to be a stupid question, for something so easy, but i try pushing down that ring, and it just doesn't work, ..

i apologize for the dumb question, and appreciate any help..

thank you,

--Frank--
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#1]
[wave] welcome aboard [newbie]

Yes, they can be a PITA (pain in the arse) [:)]

There is a 2 people method

a 1 person with screwdriver method

and ther is a tool you can purchase.

I"m all for the solo guy with screwdriver... just be carefull and pull that ring back as far back as you can!  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Try pulling down on one side of the ring at a time.  I've never had to use any tools or the buddy method.  I must be holding my mouth right.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Rest the rear of the stock on something solid and push down on the ring, at the same time supporting the rifle in an upright position with the same hand that's pushing down on the ring.  

Use the other hand to remove the handguards.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#4]
if your AR is new, "that ring" is going to be stiff. expect to push the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the site, fmtek.  Congrats on the new Bushmaster.  Like said in earlier posts, just place the butt end on a hard surface like a table, and pull down on the delta ring as far as you can then with the other hand pull out the bottom of a half of the guard away from the barrel then pull it down and away from the top.  Same thing with the other side.  With some practice,  it will get easier.  Instalation is Just the reverse, putting in the top first and then behind the delta ring.  It's not necessary to remove them very much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome! [beer]

As the others have already said, the handgaurds can be a PITA but not impossible to get off.

Go and stop by the NJ Hometown Forums and say hi. The guys from NJ have a shoot every couple of months, a good way to meet other AR lovers from your state.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
welcome, fmtek. The other guys have pretty well told you exactly how to do this, but I wanted to add... it's one of those things where you need to use a little more force than you think SHOULD be necessary.
BTW, that wasn't a stupid question at all. When I first got my carbine, I wanted to put my harris bipod on it for sight in purposes. I had performed this procedure in the distant past, back when the handguards were triangular, and it was fairly easy.
I was SURE I was doing something wrong.
BTW, any opinions on whether a handguard mounted bipod REALLY affects accuracy? I have a gut feeling it does and hence, no longer use my bipod even for sight-in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome!  That was my first ques.  Congrats on your new  "Black Rife"!![:D]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the welcome all, and thanks for the help..

i will give it a shot later on.. i wanted to take them off to put on the rail mount i bought,

where do the guys from NJ shoot? and where would i find those forums.. i would love to go out there and shoot with people, only place i can go to is Pennsylvania..
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Go [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=9]Here[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I got another n00bie question.  I just bought my first ar15 (PCR-4) and I am perplexed as to why it needs the forward assist. Why arent the usually springs enough to keep everything snug and 'unassisted'.?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got another n00bie question.  I just bought my first ar15 (PCR-4) and I am perplexed as to why it needs the forward assist. Why arent the usually springs enough to keep everything snug and 'unassisted'.?
View Quote

That is a reminiant from the Vietnam days. The early m-16s had a jamming problem. After thoundads of rounds fired they fouled and would often fail to chamber a round they had to cycle the action and lost a good round of ammo. Forward assist was added in the M-16A2 to help push the bolt into battery if it didn't fully lock. The Mod stuck and we still have them on our ARs. I doubt you'll ever meet some one who has had to use one though. I never have.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... Forward assist was added in the M-16A2 ...
View Quote

Actually the M16[b]A[/b]1  (or XM16E1, to be more precise)

([url=http://mwilson.hypermart.net/views/guns/m16.html]source[/url])(good read btw)

I have had to use the fwd assist, and would rather have one if given the option.

SPORTS  [:)]

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Hi and welcome!

Excelent choice on that rifle! You went with the best!

Two people are required usually to remove the handguards, unless you want to pay relatively big bucks for a very simple tool.
Here's a link to how to make your own in case you want to save some green:
[url]http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/hgrt.htm[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top