Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2003 3:36:41 AM EDT
I'm sitting here, thinking about the 3 stripped lowers in my safe.

One to be a lightweight carbine for my wife.
One to be a RRA Entry Carbine for myself.
The third was to be a SBR, but I've changed my mind on it.

Now, I'm thinking about waiting to build to see what happens next year with the AWB.

Three freakin' lowers, I think I have too many irons in the fire, or do I?

How many projects do you having going right now? Also, would you wait about building to see what happens with the AWB?

I'm starting to think I've finally lost it, I've finally went over the edge.....

They're here! They're coming to take me away!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:54:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You can never have too many irons in the fire when it comes to this stuff. I plan on buying 3 sometime this winter myself. I've also been eying the $399 Olympic Arms kits.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Well good question:

1.  Preban Oly Lower(awaiting for it to be remanufactured).  Probably going to be an M4Gery or Copy of issued M16A4.

2.  Eagle Lower SPR

3.  Eagle Lower DCM rifle.

4.  Bushmaster Varminter

5.  Polytech M14s rework.

6.  Redo MISR90 rifle.

7.  Pistol Grip MAK90.

8.  Rescope PSS with Leupold.

9.  Redo SKS

10  Charles Daly Pistol (Change out parts)

I have a lot of projects, but little time and short on funds.  I'll probably get them done sometime in the next 2 years.

[marines]

max
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a stripped Oly cast lower with post-ban col. stock, all painted with tan Krylon. I'm hoping to either work up the money to buy a .22 M4 upper for it, or EE/ebay a part at a time to build it up, then go with a .22 coversion kit to drop in.

Another option would be the Chech $300 .22 upper route.

I'm in no hurry to build, but it would be nice to have a dedicated .22 AR plinker!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Way too many, my wife wants to kill me!

(1.) 10.5" SBR AR
(2.) DET-1 .45 1911 pistol
(3.) 14.5" SBR M4
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
 Whew!  I have only two and a half projects left!  I am finishing up the stock on my M1 Garand ( a "new" production Springfield )and am going to see that for a "song" and then totally redo my old SGW CAR.  The reciever is forged and takes all mags fine so all I have to is switch out the upper with a bushmaster A1/E-3 upper and get the whole thing refinished with a new hardcoat and a green/grey Dura Coat over it and the very nic RRA stock tube I added to it.
 After that I just need to refinish my MUCH  used Browning High Power.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Burned out on all the high tech gizmo AR's sporting SIR's, ACOG's, lights, lasers, swiss army knives, and hood ornaments...

Collecting parts and pieces to build up several Vietnam era 'retro' rifles and carbines.  The more high tech we go the more those older gals just look right...
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Working on a entry carbine now, and have a lower for a varminter, thinking about getting a lower for a retro A1. I fell in love with Fulton postban Vietnam retro. Now who can tell me where to get the false 3-prong they had on it!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#8]
A FAL
A FAL that i still haven't finished corrective action on
M1 Carbine
MAK90 that needs a HS check
PPK whose hammer drop safety doesn't
Finish sighting in my recent RRA upper, BM LW 16", RAS II, ARMs40 and aimpoint build
SIght in another FAL with an aimpoint
#4 Mk 1 lee enfield
Finish my 16" M4 upper
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
1) M16A4 USMC clone (Should be finished next week)

2) Pre-ban mid-length project (Still waiting on an upper)

3) Three stripped lowers that I have no plans for yet

If/when the ban sunsets I'm going to get by SBR paperwork in and build a 10.5.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]
As of last night:
1 complete 16" A3 upper- waiting for lower

1 20" A3 upper- waiting for lower
1 20" A3 pre in process of being converted to
     post ban (unless someone has a post
     ban to trade)- waiting for lower

1 A2 stock assy
2 A2 stock assys
1 post M4 stock assy
All waiting for lowers

Last night I picked up 4 stripped lowers and parts kits. So I have 1 complete rifle, 2 nearly complete rifles and 1 lower looking for an upper. The bad news is, I didn't budget well, and at least one has to go.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got an SPR headed out to see George Gardner @ GA Precision for a new match barrel, and I've got a Remington 1100 that I'm trying to get up to speed for the 3-gun matches.

That's about it, except for a secret lust for an HK P7M10.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok is this is the current project list and it is "a gettin" longer by the day...

Rifles (I even have to categorize mine)

1. Galil SAR Have all the parts need to assemble and refinish.
2. Galil ARM same as above.
3. Galil ARM same as above.
4. Custom built heavy varmint style AR (still need the barrel)
5. Remington 700 Need to finish the metal(park or blue), assemble and paint.
6. SAR-2 needs 90 degree gas block and front sight base with brake.

Pistols

1. Refinish FN highpower in Gunkote (green).
2. Refinish .40 witness in Gunkote (also green).
3. Custom 1911 (still in pieces this is a pile of parts) needs too many things to list.
4. Colt Gold Cup needs extended everything...

Miscellaneous

1. Versa pod shortening and leg spreading with locking nut instal, then Gunkote
2. Five prban witness mags that need new followers and base pads.

Things I am thinking about

1. Vltors for the M4 and the SPR.
2. Form 1 to build a suppressor that will go on both the M4 and the SPR.
3. Selling all of the pistols and going with a .40 cal STI long dust cover...
4. Another bull barreled 10/22 but then again maybe just a dedicated .22 upper...
5. Saiga shotgun.
6. LMT quick change barrel upper.
7. Form 1 to SBR the M4.

Good Grief now that I write it out it seems daunting. I think I will chuck it all and take up stamp collecting. NOT ! ! !

IPSC_GUY sends

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
  Just one . It's a Dissipator H bar in green with a Eagle lower RRA upper. Working on the trigger groupe right now. Wont a single stage but as smooth as I can find one in stock cunfig.
 Would like to put a SAR on it but they dont make a full lenth one for the carry handle and I dont like the flat tops for what I'm doing with this one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Said in many times in the past, but I spend more time building/rebuilding firearms than I do shooting them.  

Stuff for the winter:

AR10 Varminter in .243 (barrel needs to be fluted)
MK11 Mod 0 Clone (just waiting on the new railed FF tube)

MK12 Mod 0 Clone (barrel needs to be cut to and threaded)
SAM-R Clone (may turn into a MK12 Mod 1 Clone)
Midlength project (need another FF forend, the ARMS #58 is not working out)

Savage 10FP LE2 (barrel needs to be fluted)

M1A DMR (stock camo pattern Desert Marpat)

.....and a few other odds and ends.  Hopefully this will speed up the winter.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#16]
11.5" BM SBR, Supressor.. For now. After CCs paid its RDIAS time!!   John
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Burned out on all the high tech gizmo AR's sporting SIR's, ACOG's, lights, lasers, swiss army knives, and hood ornaments...

Collecting parts and pieces to build up several Vietnam era 'retro' rifles and carbines.  The more high tech we go the more those older gals just look right...
View Quote

Amen, A1 all the way [8P]

My projects, in no particular order:

A1  retro project: have barreled upper & furniture + plenty 20rnd mags,  need lower, etc.  I might wait to see if the AWB goes away, if so she'll get a 3 prong FS, if not then a fake birdcage or AK74 brake [:(]

Lightweight carbine: have slick sided M16 upper so far, still saving $$ for parts including a 16" pencil barrel & short triangular handguards.  I might finish this one before the retro 'Nam AR because this one will either have a plain muzzle or a AK74 brake anyways no matter if the AWB stays or goes.

Savage/Stevens pump 12g home defense:  need to bead blast & reblue or parkerize (might use GunKote bake on finish), refinish wood & install recoil pad & bead sight (barrel hacksawed to 20").  Finally bought a replacement trigger assembly to replace the broken one.  She's shootable as is now but is fugly.

2nd Savage/Stevens 12g (takedown model):  Even worse shape than #1.  Needs a lot of misc pieces, was given to me as a pile of shotgun parts.  

Japanese made copy of a Winchester M37 .410 single shot:  Reblue/parkerize metal, new or repair the wood stock, etc.  Little brother's shotgun that has seen better days.

Hy Hunter .22 SAA:  New mainspring, grips & misc parts.  Friend gave it to me as a project instead of pitching it so the $$$ was right.  

M1924 Yugo Mauser:  stock refinish, new mag spring, needs barrel bands.  Was in a sporterized stock my grandfather did but I'm converting her back to milspec.

2 ChiCom SKS carbines: Need stock rework, one has real crappy soft wood, the other (circa '57 Sino-Soviet) rattles in stock & needs some AccryGlass bedding to take out the slop.  

Romanian Romak2 5.45:  Saving $$$$ for 922 compliance parts so I can convert her to pistol grip & ditch the Dragonuv thumbhole stock.  RedStar trigger group & gas piston aren't cheap & I've got so many other things demanding my dinars.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know how many receivers I have sitting at my dealers 4 or 5 AR's and 2 AK's, I think.  Got uppers for most of the AR15's though I still need some bolts, stocks, and fire control parts.  Got two AK kits to build; an AMD65 and an AKS74S (Krink/SBR).  One HK receiver and kit thats going to get SBR'd and become an HK51.  Looking for another SAR8 or FMP receiver to eventually make into a G3k.  Have a spare 1919 barrel shroud and barrel that need to be chopped down to make a "shorty" 1919A4.  Need to start working on a pedestal mount for the 1919 also.  Have to either get some sort of adapter or get the Uzi and MAC barrels threaded for a can.  Then there's about a dozen Madsen M50 mags in need of some minor repairs and another dozen or so I want to notch for use in an M11.  Gotta get steel feed lips inserts for the plastic M11 mags too.  Have three other projects completely stalled out on the drawing board because I haven't had the time to write to BATF for the advisory opinion I want before I proceed further.  And on top of all this my girlfriend's father gives me one of his old rusted shotguns to try and "clean-up" if I have time.

...and you think three lowers is too many irons in the fire?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#19]
right now only 3

car-15

9mm UZI, not sure about going the SBR route on this or not.

Israeli FAL

Things I want to do but can't afford:

Enfield Mk4 sniper
M16A2-E3 Designated Marksman System
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#20]
At the moment...

Update my MP5SD to 'F' parts, 4 position lower, and get it refinished.
Convert a preban SA FN-FAL (SAR4800) to a para configuration and refinish.
Finish building a full auto M16/22 upper with FF forend and suppressor for that SD look.
Get the rest of my supplies in preparation for Form 4 approval on my 1919A4 BMG
Get the rest of my supplies in preparation for my Shrike when it gets made - no hurry there it seems.
Update some pistol suppressors
Refinish a cheap STG-58
Modify folding stock on an M11/9
Refinish Ithaka Stakeout
Purchase TA-31
Purchase Mk262 (5.56) & .50BMG ammo
One rifle and two pistols to buy
Send in my SR-25 LW to have the tube forend replaced with a RAS
-on hold-
Waiting for URX
Figure out what to do with a leftover Bushy 11.5/5.5 A2 upper
Next AR will be preban config, wait till after next September and see how it all shakes out
Build my own suppressor on Form 1

It's all a matter of money and time.  In the last 3 weeks I have finished 90% of my above projects.  The rest must wait.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top