Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2003 6:51:56 PM EDT
Why in the movie Blackhawk Down do all the Rangers have green duct tape wrapped around the buttstocks of their M16's? Hollyweird? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is an effort to keep sand out of the gun. Sealing up the seams/gaps.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Hollywood. Like when you see someone double rack a shotgun to load it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]
If you look at peroid pictures from Moug. you will see that this was a common practice there.  At the time, there where few tactical slings available and this was one field expedient way of getting the job done.  Other means used in the movie and in real life where bootlaces or para cord doubled over the stock from the rear sling swivel and another around the front sight tower.  The sling was then attached and not only was it in the proper position, it was also LONG enough.  

As they say, necessity really IS the mother of invention.

ka
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Anyone here use this method or do you all just buy a tac-sling?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy a tac-sling.  Benefits of it being 10 years later.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
USMC in the 80's & early 90's we used duct tape and para cord to make top carry slings.

it worked! it was almost free.

it is my understanding that ALOT of GI's now are having their parents buy & ship them 3pt tac slings.  Uncle Sam does not have enough to go around.

I was in a local gun store today, and spoke with a soldier headed back to IRAQ.  He bought a Samco rail system for his 20" M16.  His unit is currently using zip ties, tape, hose clamps, etc. to secure their LAM's, Tac lights, etc.

it is sad.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, I have an ACE stock with the sling swivel at the receiver. I don't have a side mounted sling at the sight tower so I use the para-cord. Works fine. I am just too cheap to spend $25 on a sling mount. That's ammo money!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Me too,use paracord with a regular sling.Took off the front swivel and passed paracord through the hole and rigged the rear the same way on all 3 my carbines.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I did the same thing to my M16 with 203 during Desert Storm. I found a strap to wrap around the back of the stock, wraped that with tape, then attached my sling.

Sorry about the quality of the pic!

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/074576.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]
yep and we used a sling adapter for a M203 also. than we took old lowering lines and used them to make tac slings. In Afghanistan I used a eagle tac sling. Which worked great.
     FREE

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
In my unit we did a lot of urban combat and you never know when you need to secure a piece of gear FAST, i used to put a small amount of tape around the stock but i'd use enough extra that i could peel off a piece if ever needed.  
You just never know... and what CANT duct tape fix?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top