Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/25/2003 5:42:18 AM EDT
Ok I'm kinna new at all this but I bought a Colt Pre ban Ar-15 Cov.Carbine M-4gery with a newer Colt M-4 upper and also a 24" bull barrel upper (Stainless)that came as kinna a package BUT the guy couldnt tell me what kind of Bull barrel I had so I was wandering if there were any way to tell the rifle twist and also the maker. Thanks in advance for the help!

Christopher
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can see under the handgaurd/float tube there could be some markings.
If it's a DPMS, it will be marked DPMS 1x8 SS.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You might be SOL on the maker unless it is marked under the handguard. The twist can be determined with a ruler, cleaning rod and tight fitting patch or brush. Run the brush/patch a few inches into the barrel to engege the riflings and draw a line along the top length of the cleaning rod (magic marker), and a cross line to this at the point where the rod enters the barrel extension. Continue to push the rod thru till the line along the top of the rod rotates a full turn and comes top again. Mark another cross mark at this point, withdraw the rod and measure the distance between the 'cross' marks. This tells you the twist rate, "X" inches for one complete turn. Might do that a few times and average it out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
rimfire50's method will tell you the approximate twist, but there could be some slippage.  The twist could be faster than that shows, but it won't be slower.

Colt's Accurized Rifle was a 24" stainless with free floated tube.  If it has 2 sling swivels on the tube it might be that, but I would think Colt would mark their barrel in front of the gas block.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
How would you tell if it is crome or not? Are all stainless barells chrome?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#5]
No stainless barrels are chrome.  Only chromoly barrels are lined.

I think the Colt M4 barrels are fully lined, but some Colt barrels have only the chamber lined.  You should be able to see a silver ring around the chamber and muzzle where the parkerizing didn't stick to the chrome.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top