Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 9:18:48 PM EDT
I was answering a thread below about my LE6920 and looked up my forgings on my rifle.

I found out that my Cold LE6920 has a Colt lower, bolt/carrier and barrel, a Diemaco upper and a Bushmaster carry handle. Why is it that all of the good AR companies are using each other's parts now? I know they entered into some sort of contract to make forgings for each other...but why? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the word "forgings" is not what I should have used then. I guess I should have said that they have a contract with the other companies to machine parts from forgings for them and all of the companies consort with each other to get milled parts to make their rifles? Is that why my Colt has parts on it that are marked with Diemaco and Bushmaster markings?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt and Diemaco have contractual connections. Bushmaster does not have any proprietary forging marks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster does not have any proprietary forging marks.
View Quote

Not according to this...

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/[/url]

According to this, Bushmaster does have stampings. Although I did figure out that my carry handle is not Bushmaster, it is Alcoa Forge. If the A and F are joined as one letter, it's Alcoa Forge, if separate, its Bushmaster.

Here is a pic of a Colt upper forged by Alcoa.
[img]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/colt_flattop_proofmarks.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I'm confused. If you already have all the answers, why are you asking here?? Especially if your going to argue with the answers you get?
[>:/]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#6]
No, my question has not been answered.

This was my question:
I know they entered into some sort of contract to make forgings for each other...but why? Anyone know?
View Quote

Care to answer it? [:)]

Why would a Colt rifle have a Diemaco stamp on the upper forging? I mean, what is the purpose? Why not just have the forgings made as true blanks and have Colt stamp its own letters on it. Putting stamps on each other's forgings must serve some sort of corporate purpose. I'm just curious as to WHY it is done.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:*Note: Armalite is an exception. They supply their own forging dies to the aluminum companies, and therefore are the only ones that have access to forgings from those dies. They do this because they wanted to ensure the highest quality surface finish on their receivers, and accomplish this by using only their ultra-fine machined and polished dies.

-Troy

Now that answers my question about the AR-10 receivers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top