Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2003 6:33:01 AM EDT
Hi all.  I purchased a RRA 16" TASC rifle some time back, and while I grew, over the course of several months to really, really, really enjoy the rifle, it became apparent that my 45 year old eyes simply aren't what they used to be, and I needed some optical assistance.  I went to a local gun show and was thinking of switching out to a flattop receiver for scope mounting, and wanted to report, happily, that the TA01 which now graces my rifle is most excellent.  Light, bolts right onto the rifle, seems to be quite tough and the 4x magnification permits me to create 1/2 dollar sized groups at 100 meters.  I paid $699.95 for the scope new in the box, and while I think this price is unrealistically high, am quite pleased with the results it's application is providing.  No bitching here about performance.  Do you guys think this is a fair price for this unit, or did I get screwed again?  

One thing which bothers me is how off the scope was when I bolted it on.  I've moved the zero probably 2 feet from way, way, way bottom right to zero, and am figuring I'm about at the limit of the scope adjustment, or pretty close.  

Also: interesting anecdote.  My brother runs a working cattle ranch in Texas.  He hates it when I bring the .223 out to the ranch and hunt coyotes.  This summer was a good one for rabbits and coyotes.  The 'yotes have gotten to be pretty brave nowadays.  He doesn't like it when I take the AR out there and pop 'em, says it stirs up the cattle, he likes calm herds.  Two days ago, apparently a couple of coyotes got up on his porch and ate his dog.  I got a fone call this morning about 0600 inviting me and my spotting scope and my AR out to the ranch.  Told me he'd buy me a case of beer for every pair of ears I brought him.  I'm heading out from here with 5 30rd. mags loaded up and a bipod.  Sorry to hear about the dog, but I guess you reap what you sow...

Peace to all.  Life is good in Texas.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Greetings tommygs! I have a ACOG TAO1 that is mounted to the carry handle of my Armalite 20". The price you paid was more than fair to me as the ACOGs are in high demand at this time. I did not notice any need for a large amount of adj to put me on zero at 100yds. I know AR's can be a bit different from mfr to mfr and rifle to rifle, but if you are on you are on no matter how many clicks it takes you to get there. You paid a more than fair price and you got a good optic. You can't go wrong with an ACOG! Good luck coyote hunting!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations on your purchase! I have a TA31f and recently zeroed at 100yds. I moved the sight 30 clicks up and 15 left to get zeroed on a Colt carbine HBAR. I was surprised too, since they mention in the literature that they target one before shipment.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, one can never go wrong with an ACOG. The price is about what a new one goes for. But I'm sure if you checked the EE first I'm sure you could have picked up a like new one a little cheaper. Hell, I got a like new TA11 for $775. They retail for over a grand. My point is, always check the EE first.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top