Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 4:27:53 AM EDT
The continuing adventures of my new toy!

I have taken a few video caps of the ar firing British military surplus ammo (RG)

First pic is with the flash hider:
http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/muzzon1.htm

Second pic is with the flash hider off.

http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/muzzoff2.htm

I am playing with small media files to upload. If I get them sorted I will post them somewhere to have a look at. (bounce)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#1]
All you need is a post-ban rifle to see the same thing.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Made them hot.

[img]http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/muzzon1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/muzzoff1.jpg[/img]

makes a big difference with the flash hider it seems - looks like you have a flamethrower! What kind of ammo were you using?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Pardon my ignorance, but is that a Vortex, or a Phantom? The FS looks to be open, not closed like the A2 birdcage. And that kind of flash reduction looks like what the Vortex or Phantom would do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a Vortex.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, that's a huge difference
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW!  me wan pre-ban.... me wan flash hider..... Oh wait, I want to finish my post-ban build first[50] That is very COOL
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Made them hot.

[url]http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/muzzon1.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/muzzoff1.jpg[/url]

makes a big difference with the flash hider it seems - looks like you have a flamethrower! What kind of ammo were you using?
View Quote

The ammo is british military surplus. Radway green. I tried some isreali mil surplus. More expensive, but seemed more consistant.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw a similar thing yesterday...

Lent the guy next to me a handful of XM193 for his post ban Dissipator.  Two foot fireball in broad daylight.  Not a sparkle out of my 6920 w/ Vortex.  

Of course, the blast from my friend's Armalite 16" w/ brake made the fireball seem like a good choice [;)]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool pics bbutter. What's even cooler is that he is a private citizen shooting the AR15 in the UK!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
That's pretty incredible.  Can anyone explain how it works?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
It amazes me that people will build rifles and use A2 flash suppressors in an attempt to look more authentic when the Phantom and Vortex designs are far more effective.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's a standard A1 FS by the look of it, though it could be an A2.  It's hard to tell in the pic, but it absolutely is not a Vortex or Phantom, both of which are considerably longer.

-Troy
View Quote

Agreed, 100%
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]
It is not an A2, because it is open ended. It looks to me like one of the shorter Vortex-style knock-offs you see at gun shows for $15.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It amazes me that people will build rifles and use A2 flash suppressors in an attempt to look more authentic when the Phantom and Vortex designs are far more effective.
View Quote

Both the Phantom and Vortex kick up dust in the prone.  I will stick to flash hiders that have a closed bottom.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Both the Phantom and Vortex kick up dust in the prone.  I will stick to flash hiders that have a closed bottom.
View Quote

As soon as I can get a new 14.5 upper, my old Bushmaster is going off to KKF for one of his long A2's for that very reason.  I proned out on the side of a wash one time and within 5 shots could no longer see my target using my old style Phantom.  Sure its not "the best" but the A2 does well enough for me in night firing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but is that a Vortex, or a Phantom? The FS looks to be open, not closed like the A2 birdcage. And that kind of flash reduction looks like what the Vortex or Phantom would do.
View Quote

That's a standard A1 FS by the look of it, though it could be an A2.  It's hard to tell in the pic, but it absolutely is not a Vortex or Phantom, both of which are considerably longer.

-Troy
View Quote

I myself haven't a clue what the flahider is and I bought it!

here is a link to a better capture, to help perhaps.

http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/flashider.htm

regards bbutter
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

As soon as I can get a new 14.5 upper, my old Bushmaster is going off to KKF for one of his long A2's for that very reason.  I proned out on the side of a wash one time and within 5 shots could no longer see my target using my old style Phantom.  Sure its not "the best" but the A2 does well enough for me in night firing.
View Quote

Same here. Most of my shootings are done in prone position and it is very disturbing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#19]
bbutter, here's your pic

[image]http://www.water-filters.clara.co.uk/flashhider.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm too high and mighty to get down and dirty.  I like my Vortex. [;D]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm too high and mighty to get down and dirty.  I like my Vortex. [;D]
View Quote

To paraphrase Clint Smith:  The only way you got shot is by them seeing you. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#23]
do i recall reading something about Radway Green ammo being underloaded towork in British rifles? If thats the case, using milspec ammo would have likely produced even moe flash!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Is that really the same FS from the earlier pic???
In the first pic it seems that you can see the rounded ends of the prongs and the inside of the prong on the far side, leading me to believe it is an open-ended unit.
Maybe its an optical illusion.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
do i recall reading something about Radway Green ammo being underloaded towork in British rifles? If thats the case, using milspec ammo would have likely produced even moe flash!!!
View Quote

Is the "underloaded" Brit ammo an urban myth?

I am completely new to the game, and cannot say. What i can say is that I am sure that it runs at higher pressures thatn the Isreali mil surplus, because the bolt is harder to operate.

Something that you tend to notice when you are not allowed the gas system. bounce
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is that really the same FS from the earlier pic???
In the first pic it seems that you can see the rounded ends of the prongs and the inside of the prong on the far side, leading me to believe it is an open-ended unit.
Maybe its an optical illusion.
View Quote

Same flash hider. Just a better picture.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I think that's an artifact of the video capture process.  The rear shoulder of the FH is identical in both pics.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you for clarifying that Troy, knew I had read something about that, but was not sure what it was exactly.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top