Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 4:23:43 PM EDT
I am thinking of geting one of there post ban DPMS M4 uppers but $500 is a lot for something I cant look over first.  So to those who own one, what do you think of it?  Any probs?  And any other M4 cromed uppers you recomend.
Thanks.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I own two of them are both have been outstanding so far.  One only has 80 rounds through it but the other has several hundred and I've yet to have a problem.  For a 1:7 twist, 4150, chrome-lined, 14.5" M4 barrel with M4 feed ramps upper w/bolt I'd say $500 is more than reasonable.  Besides, Jeff & John at CMMG are great guys to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope they use forged front sights for their uppers. Currently, that is the sole reason I'm sticking with Bushmaster uppers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
16in 1/7 rifled barrels are hard to find to find and I was considering buying one from cmmg seeing the bushmaster deal will probably fall through, I'd like to hear form other owners if any of you guys have one or other recomendations for the same set up??? thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
ANYTHING you buy from CMMG is backed by Jeff and John.  If you've never dealt with them, just ask to buy the upper on a 3 day (non-firing) inspection.

CMMG is the cat's ass to deal with and they are WELL respected on this board.  I've bought from them in the past any every thing I got was BETTER than advertised.

Andy
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hope they use forged front sights for their uppers. Currently, that is the sole reason I'm sticking with Bushmaster uppers.
View Quote

The cast front sight is an easy fix, Steve at Adco can put a forged one on for $65. IMHO, it's much better than getting stuck with a 1/9 barrel but having a forged front sight.

I went through the same thing when selecting a new upper but I ultimately decided the advantages having a 16", 1/7, 4150, 5.56 chambered and fully chromelined barrel was worth the extra expense of a new front sight.  

I think Bushmaster really missed the boat on the 16", 1/7 barrels.  I know they're now starting to offer them but only in post-ban H-BAR configuration.  By the time you you send it out to Kurt to have it reprofiled, add threading to muzzle and a flash suppressor and have the M4 feed ramps added you'll have more time and money into it than just buying a a CMMG upper and replacing the front sight.  Actually, if I have to go through all that trouble with the Bushmaster I'd rather get a Colt 16", 1/7 upper and be done with it...[BD]

I'd also add from what I've seen the CMMG's 4150, 1/7 barrels are as good a quality as Bushmaster's and possibly Colt's barrels too.

See the links below for my thoughts on my CMMG upper.

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=162739]CMMG M4A3 upper project notes.[/url]

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=164401]CMMG M4A3 upper reliablity testing.[/url]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#7]
CMMG are awesome folks to deal with. Their shop is close enough to me to damn near consider them local. I picked up a M4 upper from them a bit ago and have NO COMPLAINTS. To purchase anything from them without being able to first inspect it would not trouble me at all, as John & Jeff seem to really stand by what they sell. I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Just my .02 cents:

I recently bought some parts from CMMG. In my hamhandedness I lost two small screws, I asked them for two new ones, expecting to pay for them. They shipped them to me right away, free of charge.

To me that says a lot about a vendor, they are on my "A" list of vendors.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes Maverick they still use the cast front sights but like Yojimbo I sent mine to Kurt and he replaced it with a forged one.  Also, like Yojimbo, I found it made more sense to buy the barrel with the 1:7 twist and replace the sight than be stuck with a 1:9 twist.  Not that I've ever had a problem with a 1:9 twist but I just wanted a 1:7 this time around.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to hijack this thread, but is there really that much difference between a cast or forged front sight base?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not to hijack this thread, but is there really that much difference between a cast or forged front sight base?
View Quote

I asked the same thing one time and got an
ear-full.  Something about hitting the front sight on a doorway as you're doing a forced entry or something of the sort.  Any way, I'm not a SWAT guy so I won't be doing any of that.  I only had mine changed because I wanted a bayo lug for some crazy reason.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Are these CMMG uppers a good match to RRA lowers, with respect to fit and finish?
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow they do sound like good uppers.  But to you owners, what kind of accuracy could I expect from one?  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 1:01:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I asked the same thing one time and got an
ear-full.  Something about hitting the front sight on a doorway as you're doing a forced entry or something of the sort.  Any way, I'm not a SWAT guy so I won't be doing any of that.  I only had mine changed because I wanted a bayo lug for some crazy reason.
View Quote

I have a CMMG/DPMS cast front sight base.  I have considered getting it replaced, and I've even.. kind-of.. been trying to speed up the process.

Now, I haven't exactly smacked the front sight base with a hammer.. well not TOO heavily anyway.  It did not break.  I've used the front sight base as leverage to tighten down my flash hider (very tightly.. I dread having to take it off), didn't break.  I've lost count of the number of times I've smacked it on something hard, mostly wood surfaces.

Granted this is not equivalent to using the FSB as a hammer or slamming it on the ground as hard as I could, but it's not going to break real easily.  Honestly, I think it's going to need to fall directly on a rock from either a very high elevation helicopter or a story or two up.  Freezing cold will also make it easier to crack it but I haven't taken it to that climate yet.

A forged base is ALWAYS better, that's a big DUH.  However, the cast front sight bases aren't as fragile as everyone makes them out to be.

As for me.. I seemed to have the most problems of anyone with my CMMG/DPMS 16" M4 upper.  If I were to buy from them again, I'd forego the BC/B and get a Colt M16 BC/B.  Lately, I'm also rethinking even buying the upper receiver from them.  Looking at my ARMS #40A from the front, it looks like it's on somewhat crooked.  One side is cocked up, the other is locked down.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]
As long you don´t mind about that cast FSB these barrels are good to go. Friend of mine has one and he is very satisfied.

And as wyvern said, it is good enough for civilian use. Of course cast is weaker than forged but if I need hammer I´d be using one...

MN
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow they do sound like good uppers.  But to you owners, what kind of accuracy could I expect from one?  
View Quote

I can't provide any hard numbers but I've been very satisfied with the accuracy.  I'm sure the barrels and uppers are capable of much more in the hands of a better shooter.  Last weekend I shot at 25 & 50 yards with mine, using an EOTech and put every round (almost every round @ 50) in the black.  Then I moved down to 200 yards where my buddy was shooting his SPR.  While I was satisfied with the results I'll need more time at that distance to get the hang of it.  
Hopefully, someone that knows what they are doing can give you a better idea.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't provide any hard numbers but I've been very satisfied with the accuracy.  I'm sure the barrels and uppers are capable of much more in the hands of a better shooter.  Last weekend I shot at 25 & 50 yards with mine, using an EOTech and put every round (almost every round @ 50) in the black.  Then I moved down to 200 yards where my buddy was shooting his SPR.  While I was satisfied with the results I'll need more time at that distance to get the hang of it.  
Hopefully, someone that knows what they are doing can give you a better idea.
View Quote

Did you check out the link above to my reliablity testing?  Theres some accuracy info from my tests with Black Hills remanufactured 77gr ammo.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh ya thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Another positive vote for the CMMG/DPMS M4 uppers.

My FSB is cast, but it is back-up only anyway, so I'm not overly concerned about it.  I think it would take quite a bit to crack or bend the cast FSB, which is under no stress under normal use.  Look at how many cast receivers are out there.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I guess these uppers are some of the best M4 uppers out there.  The cast front sight base seems like a non-issue.  Thanks for the info people.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well I guess these uppers are some of the best M4 uppers out there.  The cast front sight base seems like a non-issue.  Thanks for the info people.
View Quote

I have both;
CMMG/DPMS 14.5",1/7, M4 w/ 5 slot Phantom
Bushmaster 14.5",1/7, M4 w/ 4 slot Phantom

Both are very accurate, and I had not even noticed the cast/forged FSB difference until it was noted in one of the previous threads.
Also, both Jeff and John at CMMG have been great to deal with on several transactions.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
does anyone have any pictures of a FSB that was replaced by Adco.  Thinking of having mine done. thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top