Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2003 6:29:50 AM EDT
What is the optimal load for a AR10A4(7.62NATO) 19" chrome barrel 1:10 twist?

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the optimal load for a AR10A4(7.62NATO) 19" chrome barrel 1:10 twist?

View Quote

tugb.,
go down to the AR-10 & AR-180 Forum as I believe there is a similar topic on page one.
Are you sure of that barrel length ??

5sub
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Only you'll be able to determine the [b]optimal[/b] load for your particular rifle, as all rifles are different.

I suspect you'll get good results from either the Black Hills 168grn. or 175grn. SMK and also Federal Gold Metal match, in either 168 or 175 SMK.

One of these your rifle should like.

Mike

added: edited for tpying errors, and to say as noted above, the AR Discussion forum , is for 223 AR-15s, the AR-10s have their own forum, so don't be suprised if they move your thread or lock it, just in case IBTL. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
my bad. 20"
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
hey tug,
   depends on what you plan on having on the "business end" of the muzzel.  if the 2 legged variety of creatures will be your target,(for defensive applications)... i would look into the Hornady 155 gr TAP (with AMAX bullet).
   fragmentation of the 155 gr bullet, as quoted from an earlier thread (which i couldn't find) has been called "scary."  there are pics of the gel block, as well as recovered fragments... try and find them, it would be worth it.
   now, if penetration is of utmost concern, then look into the failsafe line from winchester, AKA black talon, these rifle bullets look similar to the swift A frame, or the nosler partition, BUT have a steel cup protecting the lead core. [url=http://www.biggameinfo.com/Images/FailSafe.jpg]pic[/url]  this will give you penetration and weight retention, but NO fragmentation.
   i hope this helps.

Stainless
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, that is good info.  Does this barrel stablize all 7.62 ammo equally, or is there a wieght that performs best for accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks, that is good info.  Does this barrel stablize all 7.62 ammo equally, or is there a wieght that performs best for accuracy.
View Quote

168-175grns should be the accuracy sweet spot for your 1:10 barrel.

5sub
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top