Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 11:01:07 PM EDT
What is the expected life of your average AR barrel?

I have both 16 and 20"
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#1]
15-20,000 rounds is a fairly decent figure.

Less from a "chrome-moly" barrel.

More from a "chrome-lined" barrel.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It also depends on the rate of fire.  If you're a slow fire target shooter it'll last longer than if you're a bump-firing Jack off!

I have an article from one of the gun rags, where the author ran 10,000 rounds of PMC thru a colt ar15.  The barrel was key holing by the end of the test.  I can't remember if it was a chrome lined barrel, however.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Im up to 17,000+ in my HBAR 14.5 Bushmaster and its still grouping the same as it did when it was new.Im getting 2 to 21/2" off hand and 1 to 1 1/2" scoped at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It also depends on the rate of fire.  If you're a slow fire target shooter it'll last longer than if you're a bump-firing Jack off!
View Quote

Mostly slower aimed fire.  I do hope to get the Bushy into a carbine course, though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an article from one of the gun rags, where the author ran 10,000 rounds of PMC thru a colt ar15.  The barrel was key holing by the end of the test.  I can't remember if it was a chrome lined barrel, however.
View Quote

The speed at which he ran those rounds through the gun also played a factor, as you mentioned.  It's very unlikely that the author of that article kept below the 15-rounds-per-minute sustained fire rate, and the constant extreme heat on the barrel, especially the throat, definitely lead to accelerated barrel wear.

-Troy
View Quote

Absolutely right! The gun was a colt match hbar. The ammo was pmc 55 gr fmj listed at 3195fps, and the shooting was done in 2 1/2 days in increments of 1000 rounds. The article is still available at GalleryOfGuns.com under "gun reviews".
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]

[url]www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=1205[/url]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Im up to 17,000+ in my HBAR 14.5 Bushmaster and its still grouping the same as it did when it was new.Im getting 2 to 21/2" off hand and 1 to 1 1/2" scoped at 100 yds.
View Quote

2 to 2.5 inches offhand at 100yards?  That sounds really tight.  So What do you use for targets?  I mean, anything over 2 inches isn't really a challenge if you can group that well.  Golf balls?  Clay birds at 200yards in the offhand position sounds like a good target for you.

Not calling BS, but if you can get groups of 2 to 2.5 inches ar 100 yards in the offhand postition, you can probably shoot june bugs with regularity at 50 yards offhand.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

2 to 2.5 inches offhand at 100yards?  That sounds really tight.  So What do you use for targets?  I mean, anything over 2 inches isn't really a challenge if you can group that well.  Golf balls?  Clay birds at 200yards in the offhand position sounds like a good target for you.

Not calling BS, but if you can get groups of 2 to 2.5 inches ar 100 yards in the offhand postition, you can probably shoot june bugs with regularity at 50 yards offhand.
View Quote

On a very good day, I can hold a dime size group at 25yrds.  Most days I'm safe inside a 1/2 dollar-25yrds.
20" 1/7 Colt MT using Q3131A off hand only.  At 100yrds I'll never see 2.5" groups!  WOW [:O]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What is the expected life of your average AR barrel?

I have both 16 and 20"
View Quote

Branspop,
no one can you give you an accurate number of rounds a barrel can fire.  FAR too many variables and members above have mentioned most of them.

[b]Your barrel life is at the end when accuracy fails to meet your personal specifications.[/b]  I know that's not a precise answer but there is no precise answer.

5sub
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

On a very good day, I can hold a dime size group at 25yrds.  Most days I'm safe inside a 1/2 dollar-25yrds.
20" 1/7 Colt MT using Q3131A off hand only.  At 100yrds I'll never see 2.5" groups!  WOW [:O]
View Quote

My best group offhand was about a 2 and a quarter inch group offhand at 50 yards with a CMP Remington smallbore.  IT scored out to be 90-X.  They aren't free floated, nor are their triggers good, but those Remingtons can shoot.  The trigger is crisp and don't have much overtravel nor take-up but it is heavy.  My uncle has one that I need to pressure into getting the cheek piece sanded down and the trigger put to about 3.5 lbs.  Then it would really start letting me shoot well.  I never have done expert.  Closest I have ever been was 346 and expert is 356 and you have to do it 3 times.  Getting a bunch of ammo to shoot for grouping would probably help 5-6 points.  I have just been using the CMP Winchester that the club gives me and I have no idea how it groups off a bench.I know one older guy that everyone regards as an excellent rifle shooter, and he has never quite gotten expert either, and he says that I will get it in the next couple of years.  That makes me feel very proud.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I do it usin black hills match grade ammo and plenty of practice.I have an HBAR on all my ARs and a lot of practice.This is also in excellent weather not too hot and plenty of sun on a standard 100 yd target.I also go through a case and a half of rifle ammo a month and have been burning up that much ammo the last 5 years.My shooting didnt get that way over night.Its also easier to group like that when all I used to shoot is my M1A in the usual CMP standing posistion.If I use both eyes open and a combat stance firing quicker the groups open up to 31/2 to 4"I should have been clearer on the shooting style.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Branspop,
no one can you give you an accurate number of rounds a barrel can fire.  FAR too many variables and members above have mentioned most of them.
View Quote

I know there are a boatload of variables.  I am just kind of looking at a ball-park kind of thing.  I would be a liar if I told you I shoot as much as I would like to, so it will likely not be an issue.  Still, its nice to have an idea.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

[url]www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=1205[/url]
View Quote

and

[i]"But there is just a little more to this story. I came to the shoot with a kit bag full of the parts that might break—springs, pins, extractors, ejectors, etc. I never opened the bag. This fine Colt rifle fired 10,000 rounds without one malfunction of any kind. Not a single part broke; not a single failure of any part of the system was experienced."[/i]
View Quote

I can vouch for this. My two 6601 HBARs are going on 11k rounds each [:)]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Good info.

I'd say my barrel is shot out if it can't do 3~4 MoA.(combat accurate) How many rounds through barrel to meet such burn out? (no mag dumps, but rare rapid fires, about 30 rounds in one minute)
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do it usin black hills match grade ammo and plenty of practice.I have an HBAR on all my ARs and a lot of practice.This is also in excellent weather not too hot and plenty of sun on a standard 100 yd target.I also go through a case and a half of rifle ammo a month and have been burning up that much ammo the last 5 years.My shooting didnt get that way over night.Its also easier to group like that when all I used to shoot is my M1A in the usual CMP standing posistion.If I use both eyes open and a combat stance firing quicker the groups open up to 31/2 to 4"I should have been clearer on the shooting style.
View Quote

Yeah, it takes a lot of ammo, and a lot of good practice.  Thanks for replying back!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top