Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 10:26:04 AM EDT
I recently purchased a used colt tactical elite. I'm having problems finding information about this gun. I noticed most ar's have a model number (6700, 6724 etc.) There is no such number on my gun, is this normal? Also how do you determine the twist? Again it is not stamped on the barrel (that I can see). One more question, can I shoot TAP 75 grain bullets out of this gun? I was thinking of taking it deer hunting. (The deer are the size so dogs where I hunt). I'm new to these guns, I wanted a gun that shot better than I can aim and so far I have not been disappointed. Man is it fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
As you didn't say "what" the barrel length or type is, but used the term "tactical elite" this is a puzzler. The CR6724 Colt rifle is 24 inches of stainless steel, with the "Elite" 1/9" twist barrel, (but then this is plainly stamped on the barrel).

You can determine the twist generally by the use of your cleaning rod and "tight patch". Install the bore guide and run patch an inch or so into barrel, place tape on cleaning rod at end of bore guide and mark the top "dead-center" of the rod, (assuming a Dewey rod). Push rod slowly through barrel until top dead center comes up again, place piece of tape again, at the end of the bore guide. Remove the rod and measure the distance between the to pieces of tape and this should give you that twist rate.

Hope this is some help, FWIW being a bit more specific with the barrel length, type of upper(ie. A1, A2. A3. A4) and the barrel composition, chrome-moly, chrome lined, with muszzle break, no MB, with A2 compensator or A1, all these details help with your question.

Here's a site with good Colt info on it: [url]www.biggerhammer.net[/url], ya can check there, may be some help.

As to shooting the TAPs, this does to some extent "depend" on the length and twist rate, both which are unknown at this point.

Have your removed the handguards to see if there is barrel info stamped underneath them?

As it stands now, I'd suspect this is NOT a Colt barrel, as all of them are stamped in front of the FSB, so you may have a "franken" upper.

Good luck, and remember the more info/details you give the better answers you may get, welcome aboard,

Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I'll take a better look at it this weekend. If I can figure out the digital camera, I put up some pictures also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a link w/ a similar gun.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=5142261
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top