Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 8:35:01 AM EDT
Anybody ever use these?

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13801&title=AR-15+HAMMER+%26+TRIGGER+PINS

I received a few sets of these from Brownells and am about to install them.  They look to be very well made.  The lube port looks like a great idea and the non-spin feature will give me peace of mind - especially with my prebans.  I saw at least one AR at Gunstock with these pins installed and the user said he liked them a lot.  Only drawback is having to have an allen wrench to break the fire control group down.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with them.

TIA
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought two pair quite awhile ago, still debating the necessity/wisdom of installing them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as necessity goes, I have two thoughts.  Rotation CANNOT be good for the receiver - the pins rotate on my guns.  OTOH, I shoot my guns relatively often and on the rare occasion that I take down the fire control group, the finish in the pin holes appears to be still intact.

There were extensive threads on the ar15 mailing list about rotating pins and the potential damage they could cause to a receiver.  Some folks in the know said that there should be no rotation or so little as to be nearly imperceptible.  This is not the case on my guns.  Some recommended the use of a bit of green locktite on the outside of the pins where they mate with the receiver to prevent spin.  This works and can easily be defeated with a brass punch for taking down the fire control group.

I thought the non-rotating pins would be a better solution for two reasons; absolutely no rotation and the oil reservoir seemed like a good idea for getting lube in between the pin and the hammer/trigger.

Here are a couple of installation tips if anyone is interested.  Wash the parts well with alcohol, break cleaner, ect.  While the parts are well made, there was a small amount of machining trash inside the pins.  You can install them with no problem without breaking down the FCG first.  Drop the hammer first to relieve some pressure.  Install screws on the opposite sides of the same pin to start out with or when trying to tighten the screw, it will cause the pin to turn (what we're trying to prevent).  I know this is common sense, but it took my dumb ass a few turns to figure this out.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top