Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 4:53:07 PM EDT
?

What is the reason for only having the section ahead of the hand guards heavy and the rest skinny? I don't see how it would help to prevent over heating. Is it supposed to make it muzzle heavy in an attempt to control muzzle rise?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I *think* it was skinny under the handguards to cut down on the weight
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I honestly don't know the original reason for the A2 profile, but IMHO it's the best one out there.  The thick section draws heat out from the portion under the HGs and into the open air so it can dissipate, not to mention the fact it makes the weapon balance nicely.  It is a great compromise between weight, heat control, and balance.  I got my armalite HBAR turned down to this countour.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't it so you can mount the M203 to the weapon, Jethro?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was to reduce weight, while still having some portion of the barrel that was usable as a crow bar.

It does make the rifle much more balanced than would be a case with a heavy barrel.  A2s only for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought it was to reduce weight, while still having some portion of the barrel that was usable as a crow bar.
View Quote

WTF????
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was bayonet practice which occasionally flexed the barrel too much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]
If the barrel is going to bend as the result of pressure on the muzzle it will  tend to bend closest to the receiver, since this section has the greatest leverage.  It has never made sense to me that they would make the muzzle diameter larger to prevent barrel bending.  The A2 profile looks similar to the profile of certain small bore target rifles that use muzzle weights to control muzzle flip.

With regard to the M203 the entire length of barrel under the handguard wouldn't need to be reduced in diameter would it?  The M4 has a simple step-down in the barrel to accomodate this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually as crazy as that sounds, I think that's correct.  Probably not the intended use, but I remember reading the initial reviews of the M16A2 when it was first adopted that the military had previously had problems with bent barrels because soldiers would use the barrel to pry the lids off ammo cans, etc.  
View Quote

Actually, that was the M16, not the A2.  And the Flash hider prongs were what bent, not the barrels.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The Marine Corps being the lead agency on the A2 project, wanted a full H Bar to improve accuracy of the weapon.  However it raised the weight of the weapon too much, at the time it was found by making the front heavier, they got most of the advantages without the weight.   The desire and not changing the mounts for the M203 was I think the deciding factor on what thickness under the hand guards
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
markm:

Is that similar to the story about the original birdcage flashhider being "perfect" to snap the wire packing bands on crates?
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I was the smart one and opened crates with my bayonet attached to the rifle. Then I snapped the bayonet it half. It wasn't a good day. My 1st Sgt. was pissed, but he said he did it once when he was younger so not to worry about it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top