Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 3:00:24 PM EDT
Searching for a tatical latch and there appears to be two types available.

What are your recommendations for a tactical latch?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
IM SMGLee

He'll know.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing to note.  If your right handed and use the gun slung.  Most latches will catch gear and/or belt and open.  But if that's no worry.  Get one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
PRI Military Big Latch ($20).  It's the most popular and widely used.  Not too much which would catch on gear and cause undue stress to the CH, but enough to give you a better grasp especially when using optics that interfere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
PRI Military Big Latch is the only one worth considering. IMHO it should become standard issue on all AR-15's/M16's.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed on PRI BIG LATCH.

I got mine from [url]www.adrenalinearms.com[/url]

5sub
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
PRI all the way.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:25:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Get a PRI Big Latch from Steve @ ADCO. $24 shipped, best price I found. Can't beat it if you have a traditional scope on your gun. If you use only the latch to charge your weapon it does put some horizontal stress on the charging handle and it's channel in the upper.

[url]www.adcofirearms.com/acc/pri.cfm[/url]

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:13:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing to note.  If your right handed and use the gun slung.  Most latches will catch gear and/or belt and open.  But if that's no worry.  Get one.
View Quote

I was worried about exactly that.  Stay away from "Badger's" version-NG.
But, PRI's is great.  I ordered 1 then nother then ...on and on.  Guys seam to like them.

Another vote for PRI and another vote for Cory(Treetop) over at Adrenaline Arms, he''l set yo up 123.

S2
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe I have small hands or something, but what problems do you guys have using the standard latch?

I can use the stock latch ambidextously, and never had a problem with engaging the small grip.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe I have small hands or something, but what problems do you guys have using the standard latch?

I can use the stock latch ambidextously, and never had a problem with engaging the small grip.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I'm in the same boat as you Knife ... I've been wondering what is so wonderful about these latches?  Especially given that you rarely ever touch the charging handle (except with your nose of course) after you load it for the day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I much prefer the PRI on my carbines and field rifles.  However I like the Badger on my scoped precision rigs.  The PRI is very low profile, giving the impression of a bolt-mounted charging handle.  The Badger is high profile and allows a surer grip but is a pain in the ass when slung.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

If you are running a large scope, you can not access the stock latch very well.

If you are running a single point sling, the stock latch is generally not long enough to clear the sling mount.  Try a stoppage clearing drill once with the stock latch and single point mount and you'll be a big fan of the PRI (even the Badger beats the bloody knuckles [;)])

With a standard sling or a forward mounted Aimpoint / Eotech (or irons) it is a non issue and the stock latch works fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both Badger Ord...and a PRI big latch...the PRI is alot better it does not snag everything around it....and it dont tourqe the charge handle as bad....(if this makes any sense)
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey guys-I use a Cherokee cheekpiece on one of my ARs and it's a pain in the ass to fully extend the charging handle. Would a PRI big latch help?

Would the PRI latch hit the cheekpiece?

Here is a pic for reference:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Cherokee.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]

[b]PRI[/b]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The PRI latch will not help your stock with the Delta style cheek piece, you will be better served with the badger ordnance style latch setup. the badger style latch are prone to break and it snag on gear, but for a scope rifle like yours, the latch should be okay.  I wholesale all my badger latch and exchange them all for the PRI gas buster and PRI military latch.  It is the best solution for a carbine of any seroius fast action guns.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/PRIGB.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/PRIGB2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/PRIGB3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for your detailed reply Chen. If the Badger latch is prone to snagging and breakage I think I'll just leave the rifle the way it is.

Having the latch snag on clothing wouldn't be a big deal for me-I only use my scoped HBAR for target shooting and killing skunks in my wife's tomato garden.

The problem is that my father's PD borrows my ARs frequently to use as patrol rifles. Any modifications I make have to be durable for the sake of the guys who may have to depend on them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't think durability of the Badger latch itself is going to be a problem, but it can wear down the notch in the upper.  If you're not going to carry it on a sling much (which I assume is the case with a scoped HBAR, even on patrol) then I wouldn't worry about it, and it IS faster if the standard one is hard to reach.

I traded out my Badger latch for one of the ambidextrous ones on my scoped AR.  (The other two have standard latches.)  On the left side it looks just like the standard latch, except a little longer so it'll be easier to use even in the normal way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think durability of the Badger latch itself is going to be a problem, but it can wear down the notch in the upper. If you're not going to carry it on a sling much (which I assume is the case with a scoped HBAR, even on patrol) then I wouldn't worry about it, and it IS faster if the standard one is hard to reach.
View Quote

Good point, they never carry it with a sling.

Mostly it's riding in the trunk, unless it's being used for qualification.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't think durability of the Badger latch itself is going to be a problem, but it can wear down the notch in the upper.
View Quote

Mike is right as far as a bench gun is concern the Badger is a good idea for that type of rifle. but the badger has broken on various occusion with my rifle or my friend's rifle.  the charging handle is design to be pull on both side with equal force. the tac latch although a good idea it force a one sided pressure on the charging handle, and it can cost damage easily.  also with the badger style handle, the extend lever forces even more pressure on the charging handle and some times the handle might get binded and the lever snaps right off the hook.  I have had that happen to me and seen it happen to friends.  I like the PRI military latch retrofitted to a standard charging handle.  unless you shoot suppressed weapon, the gas buster is a wasted of money.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top