Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 5:04:12 PM EDT
Hello all,

Our department will shortly be going to AR-15's as a partol carbine.  The brass is still working out the details and it may be next year before we have any idea what sort of configuration we can have.  I've been putting off an AR purchase for awhile now, but I've decided I will probably (95%) buy a Rock River and it will probably be the Tactical Entry version.  Can anyone tell me why they preferred one type over this one or over another one?  Also, what's up with the LE compensator on some of the models?

Thanking you all in advance,
MexMauser
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
[beer] Welcome to the site!

I am guessing that you have to buy your own rifle? You may want to wait until they pick what will be allowed or not. If you can find away, see if you can try some different configured AR's. RRA makes a nice rifle so I don't think you will be dissapointed with it. Do lots of research before you buy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion the removable sight tower is stupid without a fold down or removable front site.  The M4 profile barrel is stupid unless you intend to mount the grenade launcher. Why have the notch cut in the barrel a weak point when you most likely are not going to mount the grenade launcher.  The LE comp is just thier comp design, if you want flash hider just ask when you order and they will substitue.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don’t know much about the RRA AR’s, but I have read a lot of good things about them from the people around here.  I have carried Bushmaster and Colt AR’s on duty and would highly recommend either!  Colt normally runs about $100-$150 more than Bushmaster depending on what model you get and who you buy it from.  But with the Colt you get the extended feed ramps, M-4 handguards and side sling adapter.  I like the M-4 profile barrel for the weight and looks.  I wouldn’t worry about the barrel being weak!  Like already mentioned above, see what your department will approve, do some research and look at the different models available.  

Ray  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all who responded.

I've got friends with Bushmasters, Colts, and RRA's so I guess the logical thing to do would be to try out each one and do some more research.  As soon as I find out the specs and get my rifle, I'll let you know what I end up with.  Thanks again.

MexMauser
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Colt AR-15 tactical carbine with a Bushmaster A2 Dissipator upper with a 16 inch barrel and DPMS phantom flash suppressor.  For the money and quality, Bushmaster is probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope this helps a little, since I recently had to compare LEO carbines.  Our department purchased 5.56 Colt carbines(semi-auto M4 configuration with 16" barrels)11 months ago.  I handled the transaction.  At the time of purchase, the Colts were less than $20 more than Bushmaster or DPMS rifles in the same configuration.  I believe  Colt rifles have had a price increase since then(maybe Bushy and DPMS also, I really don't know), but they still hold a better resale value when you need to sale them(the complete Colt M4 upper assembly alone will sale for more than a complete LEO Bushy or DPMS carbine).  We got rid of USED 9mm Colt 16" semi-auto carbines when we changed to the NEW 5.56 Colt M4 carbines, and ended up paying $59 difference.  I belive that they're all very good quality, but the Colt clearly has more resale value when you're comparing LEO guns.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top