Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/18/2003 8:50:48 AM EDT
I travel a tremendous amount, sometimes driving from state to state for business.  Also, I live in California where I worry sometimes about being isolated somewhere because of fires, floods, riots, or even a possible eartquake.

As a reserve officer with Peace Offcer powers, and a CCW in Utah, Nevada, and Arizona, I can carry whatever I want.  I love my H&K P7M8 because of it's reliability, durability, and compact size (ease to conceal in a suit or summer clothing when I'm in Arizona or Nevada).  But is a 1911 better for parts and magazine availability in case I get cut-off because of an emergency?

If I choose to stay with my P7M8, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced metal finish for my P7 that will increase it's durability and survival use?

thanks,
ptp
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably be better served posting this in the handgun forum...
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're cut-off in an emergency, how are you going to get parts for ANY kind of gun?

Despite that, I love my P7. As you pointed out, it works great in all kinds of environments, however I have had problems with rust forming underneath the edges of the grip panels (from the humidity and extended use outdoors).

I make removing, cleaning under, and applying a healthy coat of CLP before re-installing the grip panels part of the cleaning regimen. If I had to choose a finish for my personal gun, it would be something from Walter Birdsong. There are probably others out there that are better or worse. YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Clint

Oh, and IBTL
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you planning on fighting off an invasion by the mexican army with just your P7? I doubt it would break anytime in the first several tens of thousands for rounds, those seem to be pretty reliable pistols from the little exposure I have had to them. If you are comfortable with it that should be the pistol you carry. You are very lucky to be able to carry your pistol so many places.

If you are really concerned about some long term unusual survival situation you should have a long gun with you, like a Remington pump action shotgun.

Who is this IBTL person? Is he some god that is worshipped here? I see that you often call out his name in times of trouble, does he hear your pleas?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Please see the [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=5]handgun[/url] forum...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top