Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2003 4:08:38 PM EDT
How do these cartridges add up against each other?  I've seen AR's chamberd for .50 AE before but it seems there's alot more for the Beuwolf.   Is there any reason behind this?

thx 7.62
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the specs on the Beowulf off the top of my head, but the 50AE will do 1850fps with a 325gr bullet from a 16" barrel.

The 50AE requires work to the bolt, ejector, extractor and magazine whereas the Beowulf just uses a standard mag and a 7.62x39 bolt.

I don't think an animal would know the difference between being hit with one or the other.  Both are fairly short range thumpers.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a Beowulf and can say that the brass is longer on Beowulf and that you can get 1900+ FPS from a 325Gr. The bullets are the same as 50AE and the case is esentially the same only longer and with a rebated rim to fit the AR bolt. The upper is all that has to be modified (standard AR clip, only need to bend the feed clips a bit) and since it uses a standard AR bolt parts are pretty much all AR stuff (with the AE round you would have a VERY custom bolt that would have to be machined dangerously to accommodate the 50AE rim).
So to make a long story short (I know too late) Beowulf is a proven design that uses more standard parts and you get a slightly more powerful round. I would go Beowulf.
Oh, and did I mention that this thing is FUN!!!
Under 100yds it will make ANYTHING stand up and dance ;)
Let me know if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer.
RGUARD
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Tromix .50AE & a close friend has a Beowulf (both are 16" carbines.)  I agree completely w/ Tony that any creature punctured w/ either round will NOT be able to tell you the difference.  The recoil from his .50 is noticeably more than mine, but I got Tony to build mine using his very cool/functional "boss" type brake.  These guns are extremely fun to shoot, but I promise you won't make a day of it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
There is also another option.....the new 502 Thunder Sabre round.  It's a 50AE case with a 7.62x39 head on it, so you can use a standard bolt.  I will be stuffing it into an M1 carbine next week.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top