Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2003 4:22:23 PM EDT
I have read a lot of threads on this forum and have learned a lot from all of you.I have collected firearms for most of my life but am very new to the AR community. I am researching to buy my first AR.Their are a blue million brands ,types, etc. I have been considering a Olympic Arms Pliker model.The price seems to be good @ approx.$599. I would love to hear your opinions on this rifle.Also I have a friend who has a Bushmaster complete lower for $200.I would like to hear your opinions on this as well. Thanks in advance for all your help.

James
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
My opinion is RRA puts out an excellent product at a resonable price.Especially if you buy a complete upper and complete lower from one of the dealers on the equipment exchange forum.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The plinker has a cast Vs. forged lower. Pay the extra couple bucks and get a forged lower.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The plinker has a cast Vs. forged lower. Pay the extra couple bucks and get a forged lower.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
200 for a complete Bushmaster lower isn't bad, considering you could pay 250-280 for one ordered from Bushmaster (through an FFL).  I'd go with that and an upper from the Equipment Exchange.  You could still build a quality AR for under 700.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I love to answer questions with questions [:)]
Do you plan to put optics on it? How much are you going to shoot it? At what range(s) and rate of fire ?

While I understand the attractiveness of the Plinker's price, I would agree with the others who stressed forged over cast. It would be worth the $150 to get the PCR-5 or you might like this:
[url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/XM15_E2S_16__M4_A2_Carbine.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have read a lot of threads on this forum and have learned a lot from all of you.I have collected firearms for most of my life but am very new to the AR community. I am researching to buy my first AR.Their are a blue million brands ,types, etc. I have been considering a Olympic Arms Pliker model.The price seems to be good @ approx.$599. I would love to hear your opinions on this rifle.Also I have a friend who has a Bushmaster complete lower for $200.I would like to hear your opinions on this as well. Thanks in advance for all your help.

James
View Quote

You can order a complete Olympic Kit (all parts minus lower receiver) for $400 right now, and get the lower receiver for $130, so for $550 incl shipping you can build a complete rifle with a forged lower. The uppers come fully assembled, so its not hard. Detailed instructions to be found on this forum on the main page. They still lifetime warranty their parts against defects, I would go that route rather than buy a cast receiver if you want Oly. I bought one Oly as a complete rifle, and built one from a kit. No problems with either, but in the future I will build as it can be cheaper, and is more fun. Cast receivers are not as strong as forged.

[img]http://www.olyarms.com/images/pcrkitmedium.jpg[/img]

That's a good price on that shorty Bushy meltdown mentioned above, they retail for around $900 in the gun shops locally here in Dallas. Complete bushy lower for $200 is good if it is new.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Stick with the your ABCs and Rs is what you will often hear. That is Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt and Rock River Arms. You cannot go wrong with these. That being said, your friend has a nice price on the Bushy lower. Take that and get a complete upper from one of the above mentioned manfactures. It will still be under the price of the plinker and will also be a much better rifle.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Aside from the cast versus forged issue, I would not buy the Plinker. I've see a couple with REALLY loose upper and lower fit, loose/oversize pin and selector holes, etc.

Regular PCR Olys are good guns--just not the Plinkers (in my own humble opinion).

What cnorton says is true, but there are other good lowers besides ABCR so you don't have to limit your search to them.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]
After the info that you guys have sent I am leaning toward getting the Bushy lower from my friend for $200 and then start looking for an upper. Am I correct in that I can purchase a complete upper wtihout having to deal with an FFL dealer? Also what are your opinions on the make of the upper.My first thought is to keep it all Bushy. And is that all I will have to have is the complete upper to complete the rifle? Sorry for so many questions but I am learning.....Thanks for all the help.

James
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#10]
You'll have to give us a touch more detail.  Is your friends Bushy lower complete with stock, internals and grip?  If so, all you need is the complete upper (upper receiver with barrel, bolt, colt carrier and charging handle).  You don't have to go though an FFL to get the upper, only the lower since it's the serialized part.  There are lots of good options out there for your upper, check out the EE.  Also check out cmmginc.com they seem to have good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After the info that you guys have sent I am leaning toward getting the Bushy lower from my friend for $200 and then start looking for an upper. Am I correct in that I can purchase a complete upper wtihout having to deal with an FFL dealer? Also what are your opinions on the make of the upper.My first thought is to keep it all Bushy. And is that all I will have to have is the complete upper to complete the rifle? Sorry for so many questions but I am learning.....Thanks for all the help.

James
View Quote

That's correct.No FFL for buying an upper. A complete upper is all you need to complete the rifle. If you get a flat top upper then of course you'll need some kind of rear sight.For upper considerations you need to decide chrome-lined or not? That will rule out a few brands. BM and RRA both put out excellent quality chrome-lined uppers.RRA only CL's their M4 barrels though but do have M4 feedramps.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
James,

You are correct that you do not need to go through a FFL to get the upper. Make sue you get the bolt and carrier with the upper. If you are buying a complete upper then it will come with one and should say so in the description. Personally I would stick with all Bushy, again just personal preference. I would consider getting a A3 upper as sometime down the line you WILL want optics and the A3 upper is the most versatile
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes the bushy lower for $200 comes with stock, grip, & trigger assembly. Does that make it complete?...James
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to the funny farm!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes the bushy lower for $200 comes with stock, grip, & trigger assembly. Does that make it complete?...James
View Quote

Yep. Put a complete Bushy upper on it and you have a BM rifle for under $800  GOOD DEAL!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Good Deal guys...I'm gonna buy the BM lower. I will probably post some more question as I look for an upper....Thanks for all the help......James
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:55:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to the site.  You came to the right place to get your answers and opinions.  Sounds like you are pretty will on your way towards your first ar.  I agree with Redbone.  Get a Bushy upper for that Bushy lower, then you will have a complete Bushmaster rifle at a good price.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I went ahead and got the BM lower. It was used but you would have a hard time telling it from a new one.Also I got (1) 20 rd and (2) 30 rd mags.
Now I will start researching for an upper.I think I want to stay with BM all the way (this time)even though their are other good brands out there.I have heard people talking about some of the pin holes fitting loose.Is this a big problem? Would you guys consider buying used or would it be better to stay with a new upper? Also give me some websites to check out if you know some dealers with good prices.I have began to check the equipment exchange regularly.I want to use the rifle mostly for target shooting,plinking and home defense.Thnaks for all the help...you guys are a wealth of information.

James
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went ahead and got the BM lower. It was used but you would have a hard time telling it from a new one.Also I got (1) 20 rd and (2) 30 rd mags.
Now I will start researching for an upper.I think I want to stay with BM all the way (this time)even though their are other good brands out there.I have heard people talking about some of the pin holes fitting loose.Is this a big problem? Would you guys consider buying used or would it be better to stay with a new upper? Also give me some websites to check out if you know some dealers with good prices.I have began to check the equipment exchange regularly.I want to use the rifle mostly for target shooting,plinking and home defense.Thnaks for all the help...you guys are a wealth of information.

James
View Quote

Depends who you buy from.  I just bought an upper from Billbo (preban M4 styled) and he said there was about 200 rounds through.  I opend the package and it looked unfired.  For the most part the guys here are reputable.  Definitely check with the Feedback forum to check on a buyer.  For a cheap plinker, buying used is ok.  Chances are the gun will still out shoot you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Welcome to the funny farm!
View Quote

Yup!  JPrentice1, you definately came to the right place!  Welcome aboard, and welcome to the addiction!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top