Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2003 3:32:49 PM EDT
Below is an E-mail I sent to Oly. I'm not sure but I think I've been pretty clear. I'm really not sure how to respond and would like your comments. XzombeeX can you help? I just don't think Mr. Wilson understands what I'm asking for. Thanks.

Edit to say. The bottom of the E-mail is the start.

Glockdog

Airborne!!

Start E-mail:

Hello,

I am sorry but you do not maxhard anything but the Maxhard recierce.  It had to start out as one.  

The $150+shipping is only for the reciever.

So are you looking to get a new trigger group?  Is that what your asking?
----- Original Message -----
To: Andy Wilson
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: Returns_Repairs

Mr. Wilson, thank you for the quick reply. I would however like to try to push for the Maxhard lower. Is it possible if I wait untill you run another batch of Maxhard lowers? I ask only because I'm thinking you might not run just one but, I don't know. Also a new bolt carrier for $57, that seems more than fair I just wanted to make sure that was for the Black-Tac treatment and would include a new bolt assembly as well. Would the $150 cover the cost of updating/refitting the trigger as well? Thank you and I again look forward to your reply.

Glockdog
To: Glockdog
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 11:50 AM
Subject: Re: Returns_Repairs

Hello,

The cost of remaking a lower is 150+shipping.  As for the max hard I am sorry to say that we can not upgrade your lower to that.  A new boltcarrier will cost you $57.
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 4:27 PM
Subject: Returns_Repairs

Mr. Wilson, I have a pre-ban 20" A2 with good finish but really poor upper/lower fit. I can't even get the rear push pin in with an Acuwedge in.  I'm aware of Oly's remill policy and would like to take advantage of it. I would also like to upgrade to a "Maxhard" lower and a Black-Tac bolt and bolt carrier assembly. I believe my rifle has an Oly factory trigger job and would like to have it updated/refitted as it's 10yrs old and it will be there with you anyway.  Can you please advise of a detailed price for the above work. I look forward to your reponse.

Thank you,

Glockdog
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It's pretty clear they are saying they do not "upgrade" a standard receiver to maxhard, where there was a standard receiver to start with. That's their policy, so I can't see that they are being difficult.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You must trim an Accu-wedge to fit in a Oly reciever. I have had Colts and Bushy's that the Accu-wedge would drop right in. Tight reciever fit is a GOOD thing. That is why you bought the Accu-wedge in the first place isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You must trim an Accu-wedge to fit in a Oly reciever. I have had Colts and Bushy's that the Accu-wedge would drop right in. Tight reciever fit is a GOOD thing. That is why you bought the Accu-wedge in the first place isn't it?
View Quote

Well I've never been a big fan of the Accu-wedge but I put one in because the upper/lower play is really bad. I was not aware of the trimming trick but I really don't think I should have to use a Accu-wedge much less trim one. Thank you very much for the tip though I will keep it in mind for future reference.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Well I've never been a big fan of the Accu-wedge but I put one in because the upper/lower play is really bad. I was not aware of the trimming trick but I really don't think I should have to use a Accu-wedge much less trim one. Thank you very much for the tip though I will keep it in mind for future reference.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
View Quote

I don't quite understand how there could be that much play between the recievers, but an Accu-wedge won't fit. Please explain further.

I used the Accu-wedge on my Colt and Bushy because there was some play, and the wedge tightened them up. When I got my Oly, the recievers were already tight, but I thought, "What the hell, it can't hurt," and put wedges in them also. Tgis is when I discovered that I had to  trim about 1/8" off to get them to fit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I didnt have to trim my accuwedge, but its so tight you have to squezze the receivers together to get the pin out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I would guess that ATF might have an issue with them making you a Max receiver, because that isn't what you had before.  Remanufacture of your lower gets you a similar lower.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't really see any problem there.  Oly's fixing two of my lowers from prebanistan as well.  I sent them in..  Andy called 2 days ago to get my credit card number.  He was gonna get them mailed out the next day or so.  

Dunno what else they could have done for me.

-luke
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:56:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep. Oly will not Maxhard any receiver after it leaves the factory. You have to buy it new. I think I would rather have the upper hardened first anyway. You might consider buying the Maxhard set and install your parts. On the other hand, the accuwedge issue can be solved by one of those nice little expensive tensioning pins from JP Enterprises. All the accuwedge does is force your receivers further apart. JP also offers a very sweet single stage trigger pkg at a good price.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Glockdog, I think what you want is a Maxhard Preban lower in exchange for what you have now--a standard preban lower. There are no other issues that I can see. Since you asked, I do think your email could be a little more clear. Maybe use a paragraph now and then??  

Or just call them?

Guess Oly can do as they want, but I see no reason they would refuse to do this, unless they are unable to restamp with the same serial # that is on your preban lower. I see that they now charge $150 to remake a lower instead of the previous $100. At least they will do it, though. Most won't.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Olympic will remanufacture any receiver, pre-ban/post-ban/cast/forged/berillium copper/ect. ---even registered machine gun lowers ($250) into a brand new forged, hard-coat anodized receiver with the same serial number. (The old receiver is destroyed.) Pre-bans maintain preban status.  MaxHard is only available for new purchases / transfers; not for remakes.  

As for Accuwedges or "Wedgies", you should have to press down slightly on the upper to compress the rubber and create tension on the takdown pin once its closed.  Normally, you would not have to remove any material to get the takedown pin to clear the Accuwedge but shaving a hair off won't hurt.  Remove too much rubber and you've defeated the purpose.  

Glockdog- Olympic is treating all bolts/carriers with the Blak-Tac process; no charge for the upgrade.  Standard lower parts or factory trigger jobs or 2-stage triggers can be installed on remade lowers as well.

Another note: Since Olympic does not have an "official" company rep or manufacturer's forum on AR15.com (yet)...you can either call them direct or put post a thread up on [url]www.oa2.org[/url]  This is an Oly owner's website and is monitored by factory reps.  Anybody with AR15 or related questions can post here; all we ask is that you keep it clean and professional.  Thx.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top